Will a griddle get hot enough to sear fish/meat on Q200?

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
I would like to sear fish/meat on my Q200 using a griddle of some sort but wondering if a griddle will get hot enough resting on top of the Q grate? My Q grate is a 1-piece unit.

If so, any specific griddles that are recommended? I think something no bigger than half my standard grate surface would be ideal so I can continue to cook something else at the same time.

Thanks for any advice!

W_Stewart;
The Grill Grates can be flipped to present a near solid surface and work well as a griddle. They get smoking hot in both my charcoal grills and my gas grill.

Just a thought...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Now I have to go get some salmon today! :D

Just checked - my Q grill is not flat on the bottom.

I have a cast iron dutch oven that I sometimes use as a frying pan. It works but I want a little bit bigger cooking surface. I saw this Lodge frying pan at a sporting goods store yesterday and wondering if getting one with these shallow sides is good or bad idea?

lodge-round-griddle.jpg

wondering if getting one with these shallow sides is good or bad idea?

lodge-round-griddle.jpg

well the measurements are probably more accurate - I took a tape to my 12"er and it's 12 @ the lip but tapers down to maybe 11".

That 12" skillet I linked is very versatile IMO, it's suitable for a stir fry pan, I've made several pizzas in it,,,,, that's usually the one that's out on my stove ready to go. It's put away right now, but it's on the stovetop 50% of the time I bet. The one you've pictured above would be good (10"?), the 12" one is ?probably? better?.... and the 14" .....bust out your tape measure. The 12"x15" chef's platter looks good too....

Last edited:
I went head and bought the 12" skillet you linked. Thanks! I considered those flatter griddles but figure this will be more versatile since it is only my 2nd piece of cast iron.

:) I think you'll like it. It's big!

One thing, when I get done seasoning my cookware I'll just leave the oiled paper towel in it until it cools off, then put it in a gallon ziplock bag & save it to start my charcoal chimney.

Hopefully I'll get a Q200 or 300 this year..... I know what great grills they are.

Back