Wild windy ride

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A boneless butt went on yesterday about 2.30-3.00pm. Sand,MM and peach, oak, and hickory wood. Winds were ranging from 15-25. After 6 hours, I added some extra kingsford for the night. High wind = need for more charcoal? The temps were crazy,low around 190 then later high- 270 ! By midnight The butt was 180 or more. Almost all my butts seem to take 17-18 hours. I thought this sure is a fast cook. At 1.00 am meat was 188 and smoker settled to around 225. I decided to get some sleep. Woke up at 6.00am. Butt was 170 and smoker 192. Hmmmmm what to do? Add more smoke of coarse. I stirred the coals. Now at 6.55am, about 15 hours into cook, smoker at the grate is 256, butt is now at 178. A preliminary tear ans taste reveals a good butt.

This smoke never seemed to plateau...while I was awake. the meat temp just rose smoothly. I initially I planned to remove before I retired but since it had not reached 195, I chose to keep going. I have not been disappointed with extra smoke and time. Who knows if it ever reached 195? So I am patiently waiting for the ride back up....butt now 179...180.

Steve:

Hang in there...my last one went a little like that...just patience...and 195°.
icon_wink.gif

Smoker is holding at 257...butt at 192 now. I may have some trimmings for breakfast!

Alls well that ends well. Went to 8.30-about my usual 18 hours. The only benefit to the boneless butts from costco appears to be the ability to add rub to inside of the butt w/out injecting. Anyway, we enjoyed the result.

Steve,
Sounds like everything turned out good. Had lots of wind down in "Chucktown" Sat. Cooked a "flat". Wind made it hard to keep temps down. Turned out good though.

Chris, I had to park the wsm in a corner and cover the third side with a door. Glad to hear the flat was good. I haven't tried a flat yet...I love that pork fat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keith H.:
Yeah...

**Pumping fist in air...** <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_wink.gif

Yummy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back