Wild Turkey (the actual bird)

Dean C.

TVWBB Fan
Any one have any suggestions (rub, brine, etc) for a wild turkey. Apparently the hunter didn't feel like plucking because it is skinless. Will this have a positive/negative effect on cooking? Thanks.

We generally filet the breast from a wild turkey and maybe this is what you have, since you say skinless. Down here they are cut into chunks and fried. Of course, a lot of thing are fried in the Deep South.

I think brining would be a good idea and Doug D's polutry brine of 1/2 cup of D-kosher salt to 1 gal of water and 2 Ts of Old Bay would do well. Any rub you use for poultry should be fine. I would cook it at a higher temp, indirect.

As hard as those Wild Turkeys are to kill, be sure you do a good job of cooking it.
icon_smile.gif

I'll be interested in how it turns out.

Paul

I am using the Apple Brined Turkey recipe. I have been using this recipe for tame turkeys ever since Weber inluded it in their newsletter about 5 years ago. Always gives a juicy/tasty bird. I have never cooked a skinned turkey but will be doing my first on Saturday (see the other thread). I have done brined skinless chicken breasts with excellent results so I am hopeful that this turkey will be fine without the skin.

There was a discussion a while back about doing skinned chicken on a rotisserie Skinned Chicken. This shouldn't be much different except for the size. I'll rub with oil or maybe an oily herb paste. I'll post my results.

Mark

Back