Wild Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scot Cummins

TVWBB Member
Got my hands on one wild pig ham and one shoulder. I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with either of these?
Would the shoulder have less fat than that of a typical store bought one?
Any tips on cooking either would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Jim, can always count on you for a quick response. turns out the shoulder is the whole front leg. I will look in to the recipes and let everyone know how it turns out.

Injecting with a marinade that contains oil and spices should help a lot. We have used Zessty Italian Dressing (run thru a screen to take the chunks out) and add your rub (be sure a grind the rub to fine powder). Inject until it won't take any more.
Jim

Haven't done a wild ham. ...But I did some wild boar last summer. It had a stronger smell to it.
I foiled them in apple juiced and drizzled a little Benton county gold on too they turned out good the sweetness seemed to enhace the flavor. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Scott,
Get you internal temp up to at least 160 before you eat it. If you want pulled pork by all means take your temp to 195ish.
Jack

Well. The shoulder is done and it was great. Quite a different taste than regular ol shoulder. Injection and a few slices of bacon were used to keep it moist.
I really dont think that pulled pork was an option here. After cutting in to it there was no fat in it just a bit on the outside that I din't trim off.
Jim you were right, wild pig is far more lean!
Wild ham is next. May try brining this one.
any suggestions
scot

Scott
I would inject the hams also, real thick piece of meat to get a brine. Injecting will get the job done and you could still brine.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back