Wild Hog Ham

• Thread starter Thread starter Pete
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete

going to do a back ham off one killed this past hunting season.But this is the first time I have tried it on the WSM. Anybody got some ideas and tips to pass on would be appericated.They are tougher than a store bought ham as you know.I generally put the vinegar to them before bbqing them,but never tried smokeing one before on a WSM.
Thanks

Pete,
I cook alot of game on my WSM and basically cook the same as I would store bought meat. I usually put stips of bacon on top of venision roasts to help keep the meat moist. Not sure if that will help you with a wild hog ham or not but you may want to give it a try. You may also want to try injecting the ham as well, it will not only help from keep the meat moist it will all add alot of flavor. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. By the way how big is the ham?

Thanks Larry,
I was thinking about injection too,never done it before like this.As far as its weight,I cant answer that right yet. From the knee up includeing the ham,its about 10 inches too long in length to fit. I am going to have to cut it , as there isnt anyway it will fit inside the grill. It dressed out 187 lbs with the skin off. I had to at the time dress it out ,I wished somehow I could have dipped him and scrapped it.But got his choppers,and a vet bill to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back