Wild Grape Vine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
In clearing my property I have these huge wild grape vines all over and tying up the trees. The vines are about the diameter of my wrist and Im in the process of cutting them down. Are these any good to use as smoke wood or are only the cultivated vines proper to use?

I'd say give 'em a try. If you have any concerns, burn a couple (after they've seasoned)and smell the smoke. If it smells good, I'd say it's good to use for BBQing.

Jim
I agree with John. Grape vine burns pretty hot so keep that in mind, it is great for grilling.
Jim

So what's your address? I happen to be in New England right now. I'll take them off your hands for the low low price of free!

Hey...if youre in the Connecticut area Id be more than happy to give you as much as you want. When I say I have alot, I mean I have alot. Tarzan would have a field day swinging from tree to tree in the woods of my yard.

Thanks, I would like to take you up on your offer, but I flew here so I really have no way of getting them home. Actually, I was in Hartford until Wendsday and then I had to run out to Syracuse to do some work. I fly out of Hartford on Sunday. Thanks again though.

I would have to imagine that it would take a good deal of drying or "seasoning" time before you could use it. I remember pulling that stuff down and it was some of the wettest wood I have come across. Good luck and keep us posted.

I actually have some that I cut from the root last year and its pretty dry. Im going to burn some tomorrow and see what it smells like. I plan on doing a batch of ribs on Sunday so if its good then maybe mix it with hickory or cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back