i have read posts about using fruit woods
for smoking, but i have a source for wild
cherry wood as opposed to regular cherry
as is grown for the fruit
has anyone ever tried this and did you have
good results.
i have plenty of the wild kind growing in my area and would like to try some
thanks

I've been using wild cherry, apple and maple this year.
The cherry has finally dried out, and I prefer it to the others ... plus, it smells great on the Q

Wild cherry works really well on all pork. I have been using a 2:1 mix of cherry and hickory and its awsome on pork. Good luck.

I use wild cherry all the time and really like it with pork. Also fantastic with turkey breast. Give it a try you should be pleased with the outcome.

O.k. I have a stupid question. Is the cherry wood that is used for furniture the same as the cherry wood that you smoke with or is it like a totally different variety?
My in-laws bought a load of rough-cut cherry to make kitchen cabinets for the house they are building and I was wondering if I could use their scraps to smoke with.

T Wyatt,
Even if you know that the wood has not been treated, you still don't know how the wood was handled.
Did someone spill some petrol on it by
accident ? Maybe they were spraying for bugs while it was sitting in some warehouse.
It is certainly not food grade material.
I probably wouldn't use it (because I don't have too, primarily) but if I were to use it I would let it burn for a while on top of the coals, and check the smell too!

good luck

morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back