Wild Boar Advice

Robert Shackelford

TVWBB Member
Turns out a contractor I have hired is an avid hunter and is willing to hook me up with some wild boar if I will smoke a roast for him.
I've never done wild game before and need some advice on rubs and wood types to use. Some searching here revealed the meat should be pulled a little early as well but that is pretty much all I have found.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. If this turns out good, he'll hook me up with some deer, quail, geese, pheasant, rabbit....

I can't help but laugh thinking about the look on my wife's face if I told her I was smoking wild boar for dinner
icon_biggrin.gif
Where does one go for wild boar in or near San Diego? Good luck

Paul Kirk has a good book out with some good info. I picked up 3 pigs quatered and cleaned.the best advice I can give is to cut it up in to smaller pieces that you are use to cooking. It easier to manage. I am not saying to not cook it whole but if it is your first cook cut it like ribs and butts, loins so you can regulate it. the only thing I found is it cooks a little quicker.

I've had wild boar and it is fantastic. Never had it smoked though. Just keep in mind that wild game is much leaner than farm raised meat and may not hold up well to a long smoke.

I'm not knocking wild boar. I believe in the theory that says if you haven't tried it don't knock it. God bless the people on this board who have given me so much info and tips the past 6 weeks. It's just that I don't hear about wild boar that often

Russ it right. It is usually leaner. I've posted on it a few times. This one and this one are two I've found. The first post is appropriate for shoulder; the second concerns the leaner loin or hams.

For loin and tenderloin I like either a paste or dry rub, mostly herbs (dried or fresh) and garlic and onion. For ribs or shoulder I like 'conventional' Q rubs.

This brings back memories of my college days. My fraternity had a walk-in fridge and a couple of the guys had gone javelina hunting and were too tired to clean them up so they just dropped them on the floor of the walk-in. The next morning, our cook started screaming that there were dead dogs in the walk-in. Never did try their javelina...Sorry, didn't mean to drift off topic.

I believe that wild boar was hunted avidly in the Caribbean and hung out to dry using 'jerk spices'. Hence the terms 'jerkey' and 'jerk chicken'.

Visit WALKERSWOOD website. And there are a host of other sites that discuss jerking meat and no pun intended.

Back