Wife's out of town, got a little wild...

C Lewis

Closed Account
No, not like that. Just fired up the Smokefire and put on some pork chops. And wings. And sweet potatoes.

20210617_173037[1].jpg

20210617_173130[1].jpg

20210617_173959[1].jpg

20210617_173938[1].jpg

One of the things that I love most about the Smokefire EX6 is the ability to cook many things at once. In my local grocery store the other day, I hit some major sales, and vacuum wrapped most up in the freezer, but I had the pork chops and the wings still out, and couldn't decide on which to cook, so I decided on both. I wanted to try out a bag of Sam's Club Smokehouse Blend pellets anyway, so I fired it up and grabbed a sweet potato from the cabinet, sliced it up, and put it on too. While I was waiting the 40 minutes or so, I went ahead and set up the Orbit Mist Cooling kit that I recently picked up at Lowes.

20210617_172440[1].jpg

I only hooked up one side of the gazebo for now, need to run the supply hose and a shut off valve to regulate the flow.

20210617_172424[1].jpg

The initial test ran pretty well, a nice fine mist carried by the breeze. I want to check it out when the temps peak and see the cooling effect though. Should be great when guests are over, but really anxious to try it out while grilling on a hot day. I may totally geek out and tie it in with my home automation system, with an automated solenoid valve for turning on the water supply at specific times/temps/humidity. As it progresses, I'll post some more pictures. Just another project in process for now.

All of the food came out great, another Smokefire success story. Pork chops were pulled at 145F, wings were around 180F, and the sweet potatoes were perfect. They came out a little less mushy than before, with just a little firmness to the bite, but not hard. They were only tossed in olive oil and SPG, and then brushed with melted butter when done. Pork chops were a pre-seasoned type, called "Chophouse", from my local Food Lion. Very good and tasty. The wings were coated in Cuisinart Chipotle Garlic seasoning, picked up at Walmart. Awesome flavor, just a hint of bite, crispy skin. The Sam's pellets fed well, no problems at all. In the second pic, you can see a mod that I did to the Smokefire, to give me a little more room from the shelf to the handle. I simply drilled out the locating hole, ( I think it was to 1/4") and flipped the bosses and the handle upside down. I'm not sure why Weber put it on an angle, but now it angles slightly up instead of down, and gives a little more room on the shelf. Not a major mod, but a helpful one nonetheless. Hope that it helps someone out. Enjoy the beautiful weather if you have it and get out and bbq.:)

Charlie

Last edited:
Those chops’s look grand!
I want to know more about the mister, Mister! Full report when the project is fully installed on a miserably hot day.
The handle mod sounds like a really good idea, a little extra clearance on that kind of thing is always a help!

Back