Wicked Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin O.

TVWBB Member
Has anyone used "Wicked Good Charcoal" in their WSM? I followed a link on the Advanced board discussing a coconut lump charcoal to a lump review site. On the site they also did a comparison of burn times and ash production of several lump charcoals and Kingsford. Both Wicked Good and the coconut charcoals were notable for extremely long burn times with little ash production. This was explained as they are much more dense and have a higher carbon content. They did the testing in a BGE, but were able to achieve 800 degrees for steaks as well as steady 200s for smoking. It seemed they could get one load of the W-G to last over 24 hours, notably in a BGE.

My questions are: has anyone used this Wicked Good in a WSM? What kind of results did you get? It seems like it is a bit harder to start, but should be perfect for prolonged "low and slow" cooks.

One problem I can forsee is having to rethink how much charcoal you start with. Since the W-G is denser, the same volume of W-G (i.e. a chimney full) would be an entirely different ammount than a chimney full of Kingsford. Anyway, let me know any experiences, I'm thinking of ordering a bag or two and giving it a try. Thanks.

P.S. That site I mentioned above is at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

My good friend has a BGE and he has very long smoke times no matter what lump he uses. He is using Royal Oak now and has about the same time as when he uses Cowboy. He uses lump because it burns cleaner then Kingsford and says it makes the food taste better with lump. I think it is very hard to compare any charcoal and lump when using two differnt smokers. Stick to what you are comfortable with.

Right, but they compared Kingsford and W-G in the same cooker and showed much longer burn times in the W-G with less ash production. I'll try it out when it gets here and post any differences I notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back