Why?

Tim (the grillaholic)

TVWBB Super Fan
So, after almost a year of checking craigslist several times a day, I finally scored on a Q-200 (with a stand) for %50.00! I got it Monday and went to work cleaning it Wednesday evening. I realize that i am terribly anal about the way I clean and take care of my grills, but WHY WHY WHY do people do this to their grills? The exterior of the Q is in great shape. The inside looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a long time! The cooking grate was covered in crud, and the bottom of the grill basin was filthy. After about 45 minutes with a wire brush, they both look 100% better. Then, I looked under the grill, and saw the grease pan..What kind of LAZY does it take to not even use Weber disposable foil pans?? The tray itself was loaded with grease and crud from the last several cooks. Again, after a few minutes with a brush, it too looks worlds better! It just amazes me hoe some people just light it, use it, close the lid, and repeat until they just eventually get too ugly, of wear out!
Ok, i'll climb down off my soap bow now,
Tim

I guess im one of those lazy dudes. ! really good clean/year is what they get. And they still looks great.(under a roof all year) But cooked on almost daily.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
I say just let the grease pan fill until you have a grease fire. Then the grill cleans itself! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Really Dave?
icon_biggrin.gif

IMGP7591.JPG

Tim - I have no idea why people let their cookers get so nasty, but maybe it's because they are in a hurry to eat and forget to go back and clean after cooking.

I guess I'm pretty anal about keeping things clean, but I'm also lazy in that I don't want to have to clean my grill every time I cook. I try to keep my cooks fairly organized and neat to minimize the grate area that gets dirty, and anything that gets sauce is put into a pan. Anything with lots of grease runoff (i.e. butts & brisket) have a pan also. I give my kettle & WSM a good sprayout with Simple Green and a good brushing about every 3-4 cooks, which works out to about twice a month for each cooker.

I scrape my grates and dump my ash after every cook. Clean the loose gunk off the lids as needed. Not that they're real dirty but probably will give all a good exterior bath when it gets a little warmer and I can turn my hose bib back on.

I use water in the pan. That puppy is getting cleaned after every use along with the grills...My wife doesn't mind doing it too much.
icon_biggrin.gif
Same with the gas grill's drip pan.

Back