Why wrap a brisket?

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
I am going to do a 12lb brisket tonight on my WSM, and I was wondering, if I am going to be slicing an vacuum packing 90% of the finished product, is there any benifit to doing the long slow cool down in towels inside coolers, etc.?

Up until now the majority of my BBQ has been butts, so I'm really new to brisket. This weekend my dad turned out a pretty good brisket on his WSM, but I want to try foiling mine, and getting a little more moisture.

Any tips?

Thanks

I usually foil during the cooking process. When I foil I add some beef broth or stock (1/4 c) to the foiled brisket.

After hitting temp I wrap in towels and leave it sit. In my mind the meat absorbs some of the liquid. I think it keeps the brisket a bit juicier.

I would vac-pac the brisket in bigger pieces. It would keep the individual slice from drying out during the reheating process. Then again that would depend on how you reheat the meat.

As far as reheating, I found that 1/4-1/2" slices that are vac-sealed, can be reheated in the microwave for about 30 seconds. The juices don't leak out, and the meat isnt in there long enough to toughen up. Plus, for me, thats a real quick way to get some bbq on the plate. I usually will package about 4-5 long slices in each.

At what temp should I foil? Is there a concensus?

I'm with Craig and Steve. I prefer to leave the brisket whole (or as whole as possible) then slice post reheat. I foil after the plateau is breached--upper 160s-lower 170s.

Some resting is necessary but if the plan is to cool and fridge then you can rest a shorter time, cool, then fridge. Steve is quite right: Meat has an increased ability to absorb moisture/liquid as it cools so this can be used to your advantage.

Though it is possible to slice first I think one has significantly more leeway if the meat is left intact. Either way, don't over-reheat.

Enjoy your brisket!

Thank you. Yeah the main reason for me storing it that way, is I am single and live alone, so the process will be much simpler to have it ready real quick, for individual meals.

I used to keep my brisket I didn't like stored whole for later use in beans or chili. But hopefully my dry and tough days are behind me. Besides, that was all done on a clay pot smoker. This will be my first brisket on a WSM, that I owned. I have done some on my brothers and dads though.

First brisket under my watch was a disaster. I dont know if I overtrimed it, but I think my problems are more related to temps and times.

I started out planning on getting the coals going at about midnight, and have the meat on before 1 AM. But because I didn't let the chimney of coals cook down enough, they set the whole charcoal bed completely afire. And after checking it 20 minutes later, even with all the vents closed, I was at 550.

So I started over from scratch. But by the time I was done getting the meat on, it was nearly 3 am. I was too tired to monitor my temps. I just minioned it, set the bottom vents at a tad over 1/4 open, and went to bed.

At 10 AM, the temp was only 205-210. I got up to 250 real quick, and later foiled at 175, with a little liquid. Eventually the temp got to 183 on the meat, but it still felt firm. And my temps started dropping again. So I added some more coals, and ended up pulling the meat at 3 PM ( 12 Hour cook time) and rested it for two hours under towels.

The results were very tender, and very dry. The smoke ring is a dark mohagany, not a pleasant pink-red. And it penetrates the meat a good half inch or more.

My next effort will definitely be done when I can watch my temps during the day. I am using a piedmont pan.

Tender but dry usually means overcooked. I'd recommend a Minion start. Much easier to regulate temps on the way up.

Back