Why use a step drill...

Perhaps I drill the pilot hole using my DREMEL and a 1/16" bit and work up from there.

Anyone here ever used a DREMEL on porcelaine?

Originally posted by Dino Harris:
Thanks Bill, look to get another WSM on down the road, and I'm sure this will help.
By the way my starter hole after center punching was a 1/8th bit. I guess the whole porcelin thing is what worries most of us.
We have all drilled a little wood and metal, but this porcelin thing is a little scarey to rookies like me.

I had to drill holes into some chrome on my cycle. Tried to use a center punch, but it didn't work to well. A friend at work suggested using a new drywall screw. I laughed until I tried it. Worked great lol. Maybe my center punch needs replaced, but that drywall screw worked well. If I have to drill into the WSM, that's probably what I'll use again. (or at least try)

Thanks again!

I put on two layers of duct tape. Marked the hole location, and then center punched the spot. I then drilled it out with a 1/4" drill with no problem. Followed that up with a hole saw, installed the belleview washer and it still looks and works perfect. John.

Sorry for the late reply but yes I received them and THANK YOU. Haven't installed them yet as I've still to drill the hole in the lid.

But the match the lid's curvature exactly.

Wow, that was fast! Glad you liked them. I don't know why they don't generate more excitement? Oh well, at least two of have them! John.

There's still some hesitation I've to overcome for drilling a hole into my WSM's lid. I SHALL overcome!!!!

Back