Why is Charcoal Grilling Better?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

At the risk of being labelled a heretic, can someone explain to me why grilling or slow roasting over charcoal is better than over a gas burner?

I've slow roasted some ribs at 225 degrees for six hours and they tasted great. Unfortunately, I'm wondering if this is because of the long and slow technique more than the fire fuel.

I've grilled steaks over charcoal and honestly don't notice the difference. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I honestly want to know what makes charcoal a better fuel than gas.

Thanks,

Arsenio

The combustion of charcoal does leave a print on the flavor that gas can't. That said with good techniques good BBQ can be produced with gas.
Jim

As Jim pointed out, charcoal produces a slightly different flavor than gas, though a good cook can produce good food on most equipment.

I believe the major difference is the appearance of the final product. Over charcoal meat develops the smoke-cured look: a nice smoke ring and tinges of pink. Over gas meat comes out, well, looking roasted.

Some gas cooks use TenderQuick to produce a "smoke ring," or even toss a chunk of charcoal on the smoke pan to achieve the same effect, but the meat never looks quite as good (IMHO) as when cooked over a straight charcoal/wood coal fire.

Another thing worth mentioning is that if you take the time to learn and master cooking with charcoal, you can definitely use gas with little difficulty. The same doesn't apply in reverse.

I suppose it's a personal preference thing, gas vs charcoal/wood. But IMHO, gas leaves the hint of an undesireable flavor, whereas charcoal and wood impart an added flavor which is an enhancement of the meat. Sometimes "easy" is not the same as "good".

Again, IMHO.
-- Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back