Why I have a gas grill

John Ford

TVWBB Pro
I've cooked with get charcoal grills my whole life. I'm now 61 and been using charcoal for over 40 years.
About 12 years ago my oldest child moved home and brought her gas grill with her. I used it a lot over the year she lived with us and then she moved and took it with her. 10 years ago my family bought me a nice Vermont castings three burner basic gas grill. Over the years I've learned to use it for several things. The most common thing I use it for is a finishing oven. Most of the time now I will smoke things about 5 to 6 hours ( ribs about two hours) on on my smoker. Then foil or pan and finish on my gas grill.
When I do smoke I usually smoke much more than I will plan on eating at the time and foil and vacuum seal. When I want something smoked quickly I will on defrost and finish on the gas grill.

I do use the gas grill for primary grilling about four months of the year. January and February the days are so short and it's cold enough that when I get home I have no desire to like the charcoal in the cold & dark. July and August in Mississippi the less time you spend out in the evening the better!
That's why when my Vermont castings after 10 years the firebox is beginning to fail I bought a used weber s-330

Last edited:

Back