Why doesn't it seem like my charcoal lasts very long?

Russ O

I put a full chimney in at 8am, and added a few more. Now it seems like it's about run out of gas. I tried to stir them a little, but most of it was ash that fell out the bottom. I added a few more coals to get back to temp.

I guess I'm doing something wrong because I'm not getting nearly the cooking times (14, 18 hours +) that I've read about.

I'm using regular kingsford charcoal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ O:
I put a full chimney in at 8am, and added a few more. Now it seems like it's about run out of gas. I tried to stir them a little, but most of it was ash that fell out the bottom. I added a few more coals to get back to temp.

I guess I'm doing something wrong because I'm not getting nearly the cooking times (14, 18 hours +) that I've read about.

I'm using regular kingsford charcoal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much unlit do you have in the charcoal ring? You will need a full ring to last 12+ hours. Also depending on what you are cooking, a full chimney is a bit much to start off with for low and slow. I use 10-15 to begin with if I'm using a chimney.

BTW, Cowboy avatar and you live down the road from me??? Nooooo say it ain't so!!!
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I put a full chimney in at 8am, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Did you mean to say full ring? If in fact you are using a full chimney that explians the problem. Even when I use a full ring of Kingsford I only average about 12 hours.
Load that ring up and start using minion method and see how it goes......Chris

If you're trying to get long burns, you need the Minion method.

Fill the charcoal ring with unlit. Start 12-14 briquettes in the chimney. When they ash over, put them on top of the full ring of unlit. Assemble the WSM with all vents full open. Monitor the temp and when it hits about 200F start closing down the bottom vents a little at a time.

Good luck!

1000 posts - need to bask in this for a moment
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ O:

I'm using regular kingsford charcoal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much unlit do you have in the charcoal ring? You will need a full ring to last 12+ hours. Also depending on what you are cooking, a full chimney is a bit much to start off with for low and slow. I use 10-15 to begin with if I'm using a chimney.

BTW, Cowboy avatar and you live down the road from me??? Nooooo say it ain't so!!!
icon_frown.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I moved up here from Dallas about 4 years ago. So, I live in Redskins country and I work out of Philly - I've got no friends anywhere!!

I think the problem is pretty obvious to everyone then - I just didn't start with nearly enough charcoal. I think I can go out and remedy this pretty easily. Thanks!

Yes. I use lump. Fill it to the brim with lump. Give it a shake to get things compact, bury a couple chunks, then a couple on top then a third to a half of a Weber chimney of lit.

Last 10 to 12 hours as recently as last week
icon_smile.gif

I also found that my WSM was just a bit leaky. So used Kevin's tip to roll up some HD foil and make a gasket between the bottom and mid section as a seal. Until I find time to find out where it's out of round.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Yes. I use lump. Fill it to the brim with lump. Give it a shake to get things compact, bury a couple chunks, then a couple on top then a third to a half of a Weber chimney of lit.

Last 10 to 12 hours as recently as last week
icon_smile.gif

I also found that my WSM was just a bit leaky. So used Kevin K's tip to roll up some HD foil and make a gasket between the bottom and mid section as a seal. Until I find time to find out where it's out of round. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure enough, I went out and added more charcoal. After that there were no more problems and everything came out wonderfully. Thanks all!

Back