Why am I getting limited smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Studley

I have noticed that when I start my smoke I have no problems holding a long steady temp. but the smoke seems to stop after about 30 minuits. Is this normal? Do I just need to keep adding fresh wood every 30 minuits?
Thanks for the help
Steve S

No, not necessary, don't do it. The smoke you don't see is just as effective-- if not moreso-- than the smoke you do see. Some would tell you that obvious, billowy smoke is not as good as just the wispy blue stuff. The BRITU rib recipe is an example of applying smokewood and waiting until it has passed the obviously smoky stage. To quote most, if not all, of Chris' cooks: "This application of wood chunks will be all that's necessary for the entire cooking process."

Not to be flip but more important is the taste and smell of the food. If it needs more smoke than add more wood, but my experience is that it's VERY easy to over-smoke it and end up with a meaty cigarette butt effect.

Steve smoke becomes a matter of personal preference. Therre are times that I like a heavy smoke and add some more but in almost all cases the initial application of smoke wood is enough.

Also pay attention to the types of smoke wood you use with a particular meat as some woods will impart a different flavor than others (great discussion "all about smoke woods" and on the cooking page.

the above comments are all valid especially that oversmoing

What you're cooking also makes a big difference. I find it hard to oversmoke a butt, for example, But ribs, which have much more surface area relative to their total volume, are easy to oversmoke.
My first batch of ribs was undersmoked, because I was so worried about overdoing it. Of course, the next batch was oversmoked. I've got a handle on it now, but you'll probably have to go through the same process of trial and error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back