Whole turkey breasts.

Like TFL, our grocers stock frozen, whole turkey breasts year-round. Three years ago I tried spinning a whole breast on the kettle and we fell in love with that method. The taste, tenderness, and skin texture and color worked like a symphony. Since then we almost always keep one in the freezer and make them a few times each year.

I'm not an expert chef, so I encourage others to chime-in, but I feel there are a couple options for reducing the time to bring-down the temp of the boiled brine. One option is that you can reduce the amount of water that is boiled; the salt and sugar can dissolve just fine with a lower ratio of boiled liquid, as can the spices and aromatics be released. If you're not using spices nor other aromatics I'm not even aware that boiling water is necessary. The second option is adjusting the boiled water-to-ice ratio to, possibly, 1:1 and adding the ice relatively soon after removing the brine from the burner. I have gone from boiling water to a <40f bucket of brine solution in less than half an hour (but I'm an infrequent briner because of space limitations, so I don't have lots of experience).

Walmart grocery stores usually have butterball whole breasts, which are basically a Turkey with the wings and leg quarters removed

Back