Whole Sirloin Tip Roast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Chavez

TVWBB Fan
My local supermarket had whole sirloin tip roasts on sale for $1.59 a lb last week I bought 2 of them. Weight is 12lb each. I already made jerky from one of them but I would like to barbecue the other one. It has a nice fat cap on it and I noticed alot of connective tissue internally when I was cutting the one up for jerky. Appeared to be 2 or 3 different muscle groups. My question is can you cook it to pulling temp of is slicing temp recomended. These are my first whold sirloin tips so your recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Mike,

I would treat a sirloin roast more like tri-tip or even a rib roast, smoke or grill it over high heat to an internal of 120-130 (rare-med rare) instead of slow smoking it. This will make some mighty fine RB, especially if you rub some fresh horseradish on the outside of the beef before you start. In my opinion, sirloin is one of the tastiest cuts of beef and I think that slow smoking it would dry it out and detract from the good beef flavor. Just my 2 cents though, others may think different. Good luck.

Tim

We do sirloins often and I agree with Tim about internal temp, you can treat it as you would a Prime Rib.
Jim

Thanks Tim and Jim thats what I figured. Sounds like I'm in for a treat. Thinking about making an Au Jus for dip samiches. Some grilled onions and some nice cheese. Oh and a toasty hard roll.

I finally got around to cooking these tip roasts. I cooked 2 12 pounders on top rack dry foil coverd pan. 2 chimney full Kingsford 1 large chunk hickory 2 small apple chunks. Rubbed liberally with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. The WSM crused at 325 to 350 brought meat temp up to 140 took about 5 hours and foiled till we where ready to eat.
I must say that these where the best. Nice smokey flavor tender and jucy. Put some sliced meat in au jus with onion and garlic ate on a nice roll. Some we just ate with bbq sauce onion and pickle on roll.
This is a keeper will do again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back