Whole Shoulder Clod

John H

First, many thanks to all the great information, discussion, tips, etc. Without them I never would have done what I did last weekend.

I finally had a special occasion to cook for 25+ people (farewell picnic for a young priest who just completed his PhD in Computer Science - I was on his dissertation committee) so I justified getting a whole shoulder clod (18.5 lbs) + pork butt (7.5 lbs). I cooked them over night, starting around 8:30pm Saturday and finishing up around 10:30am Sunday, in plenty of time for a 2pm picnic. I used minion method, a ring full of Humphrey Hardwood Charcoal, and some oak & hickory chunks. Except for a drop in temps around 5am due to an unexpected rain shower, cooking temps were around 225-235 for 11 hours or so, then up to 265-275 for the last couple hours.

I received many, many compliments. I think everyone came back for seconds or thirds. Even the priest, who usually doesn't eat meat, decided this was a special occasion and loaded his plate up. Many said it was the best beef they ever had. I tended to agree.

A few pics are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/dukieQ/BBQClod02

There was a little hunk of meat, maybe a pound, that easily broke away from the side of the clod. I wrapped this up and gave it to Father who gladly took it home with him.

Dukie

Hey John...

Nice job! Pics looked great. Kudo's on a job well done!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Nice that looks tasty. I have never made or even tasted a shoulder clod. What does it taste like compared to brisket? It looks like super super tasty.

Good job!

I've seen these at BJ's, and have wondered what they would be like. It sure looked good
icon_smile.gif

Congrats on a job well done!!

Rick

The taste was the same as brisket. With my eyes closed I probably would have thought I was eating brisket. The texture is a little different, a little more like a roast, and there are a few pieces of connective tissue that remain, as the clod is, if I recall, three muscles.

I've been enjoying leftovers chopped, in a sandwich and it's still every bit as tasty.

Back