Whole chicken

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I did two whole chickens that I got from my local butcher in my WSM yesterday. It was the best chicken I've ever had. I used two poultry holders purchased from my local grate and grill store to support them.
The night before I rubbed BRITU rub (left over from last weeks ribs) on them and threw them back in the plastic bags they came in and added about 1/2 cup vegatable oil and 1/2 cup apple cider vineger and a little more salt. I rerubbed them the next day before putting them in the WSM.

The poultry holders had a dish under them for catching fat, prior to putting them in the WSM I poured some apple vinegar in there. I think they made a huge difference in the taste b/c I could taste the vinegar on the meat (and I love how apple vinegar tastes) However, the vinegar may have gotten on to the bird when I was removing it from the holder and it spilled out.

I used the same method for starting the WSM as in the BRITU article. I maintained the temperature between 230 and 240 measuring with a candy thermo at the vent (until a volleyball came crashing through to knock off and break it - luckily no mercury!) I usually close all vents for the first 2 hours and then open 1 vent (on the non wind side).

The chicken was the juiciest I've ever had. I was worried that I didn't do the vegatable oil / rub injections as stated on the "chicken on a throne" recipe, but as it turned out it really didn't need to be any more moist.

My family and I don't usually eat chicken skin. It was a shame that most of the rub was on the skin even though I did rub it inside the bird and under the skin. The rub on the plate was easily mopped back up while eating. however, I am wondering how things would have turned out if I did the smoke with the skinless birds.

Has anyone here ever smoked a skinless whole chicken and how did it turn out?

I also have way more fuel then I need for a 5 hour smoke (two chimney's full and 4 applewood chunks). If I go to 1 chinmey of charcoal will it be harder to keep the temp at 230 for 5 hours?

I know you mentioned that you and your family do not eat the skin. If you are so inclined, the best way to do this is to cook at 350 for 2 - 3 hours with no water in the pan. Usually a chimney full of coals with the vents wide open makes this easy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I cooked a beer butt chicken this weekend using the above waterless, high temp method with great results. I brined the bird first and put a nice spicey rub on it prior to smoking.

I've never tried a skinless bird. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I've smoked boneless breasts before and they came out quite good although a bit too smokey for my wife.

I would think chicken is too lean, even brined, to go nekked like that-- not without a lot of basting.

I agree- I wouldnt cook a bird naked. If you want more seasoning in the bird, Inject it with some juice or liquid combined with a good amount of seasoning (your rub for instance). True, you may not need this for moisture but it will get some flavor done into the meat.
Jim

That beer can chicken is a wonderful recipe... I smoked one this passed weekend but used about an inch of white wine in the can instead of beer... I also put powder garlic in the can and a good rub all over the bird... I used a tooth pick to pin the skin over the neck opening... by pinning the neck the steam from the wine penetrates the bird under the skin.. Smoked it at 300 degrees of 3 hours... it blows up like a football and the wine and garlic under the skin is wonderful... when you smoke it hot the skin gets crisp and is very good.. Hard not to eat something that tasty... Lol.. I eat everything except the feathers, and bones .. (sometimes I have eat the bones /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif ) lol... Does anyone know how to smoke the feathers??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers!!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

For the beer butt I cooked this weekend, I put all kinds of stuff in the beer: including some poultry seasoning, extra rub and onion chunks. I also stick a big chunk of onion in the neck to plug up the hole. The resulting cooked/smoked onion chunk is quite tasty as well.

Anyone ever smoked chicken parts? My family's not big on the dark meat, so for me, a whole chicken is somewhat a waste (the thighs and backs are pretty much tossed out).

I was thinking of smoking either just some breasts, or some breasts, wings and drumsticks. Has anyone ever done that, either with brine or without? I was thinking of giving a shot at some smoked wings at a higher temp (325-350) with a rub, but no brine.

I have done just parts before, but it's been a long time-- back when I was looking for any excuse to fire up the Bullet. I just sprinkled on a little rub and threw the pieces on along with some sausages. I cooked at around 235, but if I were to do chicken pieces again, I would go 325-350. The higher temps should make for an easier time keeping temps steady if one were to baste a few times over the course of the cook.

I have been using the water pan filled with water. I assumed this provided temperature regulation and humidity to prevent meat from drying out.

After my last chicken cook I felt that the chicken was so juicy only b/c I used a water pan. (I expected that after 4 hours of cooking the chicken would be dry, WRONG) I didn't baste, when I looked in at it at halfway it looked totally unnecessary.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy Ritting:
[qb] I have been using the water pan filled with water. I assumed this provided temperature regulation and humidity to prevent meat from drying out.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This thread would really veer off-course if everyone weighed in on that subject.

I'll only say that for any future poultry I do-- pieces or whole-- it will be brined overnight and then cooked at 325-350 with a dry pan. I don't think there's any better combination for skin texture, juiciness and through-and-through flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back