Whole chicken cook - fat in the cavity idea

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Yesterday I cooked a test run of a couple of whole chickens. I’ll be doing a 10-chicken cook in a few days and wanted to test Keri’s Cranberry BBQ Sauce and Chicken Rub (http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/19800690...330004152#8330004152) - it’s a winner! (Thanks, Keri!)

The general advice here is not to cook whole chickens because the breast meat overcooks by the time the dark meat is done. But breaking down 10 raw chickens is more time-consuming than cutting cooked chickens into portions, so that’s my plan.

Here’s an idea that I haven’t seen on the forums:

I trimmed off the large chunks of fat from around the cavity, coarsely chopped them, and reserved them. After brining and applying the rub, I put the chickens (not trussed) on the WSM grate breast-side down. Then I put some of the fat into the cavity over each breast half hoping that it would baste the breast meat from the inside. I also added a couple of onion wedges.

I was aiming for a 275*F cook but for some reason my temps held around 215*F. Total cook time was 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 hours for smaller/larger chickens, which leads me to believe that my probe was positioned badly or it is reading off.

But the combination of brining, putting the fat into the cavity, and cooking breast-side down produced the moistest chicken I’ve ever cooked - dark AND white meat.

Any thoughts on the fat-in-the-cavity idea? Does it really baste from the inside or was this cook a fluke? Is the breast meat too dense to really benefit from the internal baste?

Rita

Without any control pieces cooked without the fat, it would be hard to say if it was indeed the fat or just the brining that kept things so moist. We do know that surface fat melting doesn't actually penetrate the meat, so...

Rita,

I'm with Doug on this one. I betcha it was the brining and not the "Fat Stuffing" that kept the birds moist.

How was the skin? I'm guessing a little rubbery considering the temps.

Al

Rita - I go with the fat on this one.

Why cover chicken with bacon if it doesn't work? Why does a boned duck stuffed with a boned chicken produce stunningly moist chicken if it doesn't work?

Yes - it's the fat. And failing chicken fat - butter is pretty good, too.

Andrew

Al, surprisingly, the skin was thin and on the crispy side! And I didn't even have time to dry the chickens uncovered after the brining. I just patted them dry with towels, massaginated with a little mustard, applied the rub, and cooked them. That's why I'm thinking my pit probe was off. Haven't had a chance to check it yet. Or maybe bad placement.

Rita

Back