Who uses the Guru 12V adapter?

Thanks Amir. I think I'm following you.

I went ahead and ordered this unit from Amazon.

The difference between this one and the one I was looking at earlier are: Bigger inverter (600 watt), Longer battery (28 amp versus 19 amp hour), no air compressor (already have one), small radio built in (nice feature for catching a ballgame or something).

Anyways, the price on this is $99, which compares very favorably to prices at other retailers ($149 and up). With free shipping, I figured it was a great deal.

I plan to put this through it's first test next weekend. I'm going to run through a practice competition in my backyard, so it will be powering a stoker connected to 2 WSM. I'm expecting to have plenty of power and will report back later.

Thanks for all the help.

Pat

Hi everyone!

I looked at the Stoker power supply ( plugs into the wall) and the output is 5 volts @ 2.5 amps. Using Ohm's law (P = E X I) P (power or watts) = E (voltage) times I (amperage) so 5 x 2.5 = 12.5 watts is what it draws. Hope that helps???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
Thanks Amir. I think I'm following you.

I went ahead and ordered this unit from Amazon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So let's do some math using the numbers John just provided.

The AGM battery should be be drained beyond 50% level (it shortens its life). So that leaves us with 28/2 = 14 amp hours. Assuming 12 volt battery, we have 12 * 14 = 168 watt hours.

If the stoker power supply is rated at 2.5, it means that it draws less than that in real life. So we can use 2 amp/hour for a conservative number. Power consumption then becomes 5*2 = 10 watt/hour.

We are 80% efficient so real capacity we have is 168*.08 = 134 watt hour.

Dividing the above by 10 we get 13.4 hours of run time if you want the battery to last a long time.

In real life though, the stoker uses a lot less power as it is not running the blower. So I think the capacity is easily enough for a long smoke.

Xantrax stuff is really good so that is nice buy.

I use a rechargeable jump starter to power my DigiQ II and it works very well. If it's fully charged, I can do 2 low and slow butt cooks and still have power left over.

My particular starter has 3 lights to show how much power it has left. I have only drained it down to the bottom light once. That was, as I mentioned above, after two 12-14 hour cooks.

Besides being more convenient than having to have a power outlet close by, I think it's safer. I have used it twice in the rain. I just put a small cooler next to the WSM and put the starter in the cooler. That way it's protected from above and from below. Seems like a lot safer option then wet extension cords and wall outlets.

Back