Who takes their WSM camping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Lewis

TVWBB Super Fan
Just out of curiousity, does anyone take their WSM camping? I love to cook while camping and currently I am experimenting with Dutch Oven cooking. But, I love to use my WSM and think it may accompany me on some trips this summer (on a space available basis) Anyone have any experience with "smokin while campin"

Hi Dave!

I 'm an avid camper and have a nice collection of iron. Here is how our campouts go......

Early in the year I am very eager to start using the iron, so will never think about smoking.

In the fall, I have taken the WSM with us several times. I get a little tired of the DO's by then and it's nice to entertain some folks with great BBQ.

So, I guess that was the long answer to.....YES

We took ours on our annual anniversary camping trip last year. It was so fun to have along!! Nothing in the world like a pulled pork sandwich and beer by the campfire. I don't think I'd take it for just a 1- or 2-day trip, but absolutely on the longer trips.

I wanna go camping NOW!!!

Kelly

Hay Dave I am looking forward to taking my WSM camping this year. I just got it back in October and I havnt been camping. I used to take my Brinkman smoke king. It is a water smoker, 3 meat racks, long side door. Poor heat control. I recently got a after burner for it. I havn't yet had a chance to try out the after burner. I plan on using it for jerky and hanging sausage. Before I go camping I usually rub down all meat bag it and keep in cooler that saves some time. I believe that the WSM will be alot easier to carry than my old brinkman. And a hell of alot easier to use.

All the time.

We have a little popup camper we like to use every weekend we can from April thru October. It's a great opportunity to bring the WSM and practice. We attend a huge campout with all of my wife's family every Labour Day weekend, and pulled pork for 20 or more people has become the traditional Saturday dinner.

When we camp ourselves or with our best friends it's usually ribs or chicken.

I haven't had the WSM long enough to try, but I don't think I will either. Generally when I go camping it's either backpacking or car camping but hiking all day. So I'm not going to be able to monitor the smoker. What I plan to do next time I go car camping, however, is bag up a bunch of pulled pork, ribs, and brisket into vacuum bags and take them along with a bunch of homebrew. I can heat them up in hot water either over the camp fire or on the stove. As for carrying homebrew, I bottle up a bunch in 2 litre PET bottles (soda bottles) with some special caps I made. I fill them from my kegs and then blast 30 PSI of CO2 on top to keep them carbonated. Every night around the fire we have draft beer :-D

Life is indeed good.

My friends won't let me go camping with them unless I bring a cooker. I end up cooking all the meats for dinner.
Jack
Smokin in the rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back