White Smoke?

Norman Nelsen

TVWBB Member
I have noticed in the Weber Bullitin Board that when using the WSM "white smoke" is NOT preferred. I have only used my new WSM a few times and seem to always get white smoke. The meats that I have cooked have, in my opinion, always been excellent. If blue smoke would be better I want to go for it.
I live in the boonies and have been using chunk wood from local timberland (Oak, Hickory, Persimmon, some fruit woods). Why can't I get blue smoke? Am I using to much wood? Is the wood too green? Is my cooking temperature too high? I run the top grill temp at 225 degrees to 245 degrees.
Thanks for you help.
Old Arky Bum

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think I've ever noticed blue smoke. just white. I'd be worried if I were getting dark gray and blackish smoke, but nothing wrong with white smoke in my opinion...

all that matters is that you are happy with the end product. Sounds like you are, so everything seems good!

Two things I've noticed in my cooks. If I put the chunks on the coals and wait a while, the white smoke turns to the wispy blue, then I'll put the meat on. Not the strictest Minion Method, but it's done okay for me.

The other thing is (I mostly use cherry wood) every time I've used oak, the smoke was billowing white for a long time and I'd open up the WSM and remove the offending piece of smoke wood. Not every chunk of oak did that, but some. Never had that happen with cherry, a little white at first and quickly turns to blue/transparent.

Just my observations.

but is there anything really wrong with white smoke? it's all that come out of my little r2d2 and my Qs been tasting great...

Originally posted by adam clyde:
but is there anything really wrong with white smoke? it's all that come out of my little r2d2 and my Qs been tasting great...

You have good Q and everyone else you serve agrees, sounds like there is no problem to me.
icon_biggrin.gif

If it's the 'blue' smoke you're looking for you'll need to burn the wood a bit. Fire up the WSM and place the wood on the coals. Let the smoker heat up and the wood burn a bit. You'll see the white smoke disappear and a thin, almost clear, whispy line of heat coming out of the WSM. That's your thin blue line!

If you are using a water in the water pan what you are seeing is smoke and steam after the water has heated up.
White smoke is a problem when cooking on log burners because your not getting good combustion and those gas that we want burned off are being produced. In that case more air into the firebox and preheating of the wood helps. Once the pit gets up to temp in a log burner you should not have problem.

A WSM uses much less wood and this should not be a problem unless you have the bottom vents closed and everything is just smoldering.
Jim

Back