While My Tenderloin Gently Rests.......

Jane Cherry

TVWBB All-Star
There's been a couple of sales here lately at Fry's (Kroger) for tenderloin roast at $6.99 a pound. They are sold 'whole' in the bag, but this is nothing like what you would get at Costco. Costco's are definitely whole.

These are sections ranging in weight from 2# up to 4#. Also I have to mention that this meat is grade "select", not choice, which probably explains the price.

After trimming away the silverskin, I left both side chain(s) intact, removing as much fat as I could. They are cutting the thick end of the roasts, using the remaining parts for their steak cuts which they sell at $13.99 a pound. I then snip fresh herbs from my container garden on the patio for seasoning. Here's what today's selection was:

1 sprig fresh rosemary
6 sprigs fresh thyme
1 large sprig fresh Greek Oregano
S&P
Dijon mustard
4 cloves freshly squeezed garlic

Remove all leaves from herbs, discarding stalks. Chop finely and combine with rest of the above to make into a paste. Tie up your tenderloin roast nice and tight and rub generously with your paste mixture.

Prepare your kettle for indirect grilling. My heat level was approximately 450, with soaked Cherry (no pun intended) wood chunks (2) on the fire. It did lower itself once the meat and brussels sprouts went on to 400. Potatoes in foil are a must as well. Cook roast for approximately 35 minutes, pulling at internal temperature 135 and let rest for at least 15 minutes on a cutting board before slicing.

Last time, the two us finished a three pound roast with 2 pounds U6 shrimp the next morning for breakfast. This time it's a 2 pound roast, so I assume it will be gone tonite......

Jane,

I was told by a butcher that the smaller select grade tenderloins are cow meat, not steer. Still good eats if you know how to prepare them. Sounds like you did a great job. Any pictures to share?

In all my years of doing beef tenderloin I never thought to check grill temperature. If I do next time, I know I'll screw it up.

Jim

After buying a new Canon A610, it's been in the case ever since I bought it, not knowing how to use it. Believe it or not, I bought it for this purpose, and stupid me....

Can't help checking the temp on my Weber Kettle, my model has the slide in thermometer in the lid handle. This is what I use in the WSM, just sticking it in the top vent. Yes, it hasn't been the greatest cut of cow, comparing what I've had previously with Costco's, but it'll do in a pinch for the price. Tenderloin is my least favorite beef cut as it lacks flavor compared to other cuts. It's great leftover the next day in a sandwich with horseradish and sliced onion!

I'm gonna fire up some ribs for my husband for Father's Day and get around to making Kevin's KC sauce, and probably do Rita's meatloaf, since I try to get as much out of one cook as I can. I've also got two whole bone in butts frozen, leg quarters and whole mess of stuff I really need to get out of my freezer! The dang thing just keeps on going, and going, and going.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">with soaked Cherry (no pun intended </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jane - I just have to ask what you "soaked Cherry" in! Ha! Good one Jane!

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
... Tenderloin is my least favorite beef cut as it lacks flavor compared to other cuts ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jane,

I was surprised to read that, as I consider my preparation of beef tenderloin to be one of the most flavorful beef cuts. I use the same cooking process that my dad used since the 1960's (maybe '50's), and avoid frou-frou presentations like that pink peppercorn monstrosity in the Weber cookbook.

I'd give you the recipe, but there really isn't one and you wouldn't be impressed enough to try to duplicate it. It looks like this, boring .....

Jim

It's never the preparation, it's the cut compared to others. Since this lacks the marbling other cuts possess, that is where the flavor comes from.

I've never had a client complain about the preparation I've done for them, I usually suggest this whole cut from Costco for dinner parties. But for me, I like the fat other cuts have. I also love the chitlins from pork. Crunchy pieces of fat you get after rendering your lard. But that's just me.

You can make this cut more flavorful by certainly spicing things up, but if you were to grill it plainly next to other cuts, you could probably see the 'lesser' flavor aspect I am mentioning.

How is yours prepared?

Jane,

The secret ingredient is BACON!

I sear the beef, then grill it in that metal pan you see behind my serving platter with bacon in the pan and on the beef. It is served with the beefy-bacony jus spooned over each rare 3/4 inch thick slice. Seasoning is limited to salt, pepper and an occasional garlic clove.

And I am too cheap to buy anything but those select grade cow tenderloins (just ask my wife).

Jim

Nice countertop! I cannot get these cow tenderloins this size. The largest one I've seen is 3.5 pounds. The one in the pix looks like it's at least 5-6 pounds.

Of course, everything with bacon tastes better.

Back