Which Weber to order? Recs please

Mark Alcorn

I had a Genesis Silver B and then switched to a Charbroil/TEC (2 infrared, 2 regular burners) and I really liked it while it worked as it was supposed to.

I like the infrared alot, and I like having 4 burners on the surface (in addition to the rotisserie and side). I like the surface area that is offered which is about 630 sq inches.

I have been looking at Summits and like the 670, but I don't think I can afford that.

Based on what I've said, please take a minute and suggest a Summit (or other grill) if you would. Let us put the price point between 1000-2000 and I can figure out what is too much within that.

Thanks.

If you like Infrared - check out the following:

TEC & Solaire (High-End option) have been doing that for a relatively long time (I.R. is something relatively new to Weber). Their large, stainless units are near / are Commercial-grade. A local store used to carry them. I've seen them, but never used one.

A less costly but good alternative would also be MHP (Modern Home Products - an offshoot of the old Charmglow gassers). They have some nice, multi-burner units with (2) conventional and (1) Infrared burner. Theirs use HEAVY cast-aluminum housings with a variety of different pedestals. They're not as "pretty" as a Summit, but I did use one of my neighbor's mid-size MHP with their anodized aluminum grates, and it really cooked nicely.

Another possibly good alternative would be a small Infrared unit for searing, and a separate, nice, middle-of-the-road larger gasser for day-to-day cooking.

So, maybe check into these as some starting points to your search.

I wouldn't count the 670 out quite yet, it is within your price range. I wanted one for years before I was ready to make the plunge. I've been 100% happy I did. I wavered for a little while, thinking maybe the the 470 would be enough, but in the end I had to go with what I knew I needed to have.

You know you want it

SteveF,

You, sir, are going to cost me money.
icon_biggrin.gif

As far as the Summits go, I have been looking at the 470 v 670. I like the idea of the searing area and I am intrigued by the smoker box. If I go 470 I am losing main area grilling space (I currently have 630") and with the 670 I would be picking some up.

In the end, I decided the price per inch was better with the 670 and the overall room won out. I had no idea how much I'd use the infrared burner, and for so many more things than browning what's on the rotisserie. I use it all the time.

As far as the smoker, don't consider it to be much more than a novelty. The smoke rolls right out the side and stains the endcap on one side only. I have had some good results placing fish right next to it and tenting the smoker and the fish with a piepan though. Nothing like a brined, smoked Thresher Shark steak.

Got the Summit S-670. At Amazon they are 500-600 less than Weber or the big box stores and there is no tax and free white glove shipping.
icon_smile.gif

Back