Which Standing Rib roast (Prime Rib) method?

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
Hey folks,

Loving my new WSM. Tried ribs this last weekend and they were some of the best I've ever had. Plan on going for a rib roast this weekend for father's day.

Those of you who have tried some of the various rib roast methods and recipes here I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Herb Crusted, Jim Minion's recipes, Montreal etc? High temp 300+, low temp 250 range, sear in broiler or grill if using low temp method?

Thanks for any thoughts and comments.

Jason
I've only done the herb crusted method and I'm not sure I did it according to the recipe. I separated the bones and cooked them alongside the roast at a high temp. The roast came out great cooked to medium (not my preference, my family's) and the ribs were at 190F at the same time and they were good.

Loren

I've done the herb-crusted and montreal recipes. I cook at 350 (roasting temps) and go light on the smoke wood. If you like a range of doneness, then 350 is a good choice. If you prefer more medium meat throughout, you might lower the temp to 300 or so. It'll cook slower but be more uniform in doneness.

I've not tried searing the exterior over coals, yet, but that is definitly on my list of things to try.

If you want your roast to be rosey pink all the way through. Then the seared and low 200° roasted will give you just that. That method also results in very little carryover cooking. Maybe 2°-5°.

If you like a gradient of well done on the outside to pink in the center then a traditional 350° herb crusted beast is the way to go.

Al

Back