Which Remote Therm Should I Get

Tom P.

TVWBB Member
I have a little birthday money to spend and I am thinking about a remote thermometer.

Amazon is having a great sale on the maverick et7 but it looks like the et73 is made for smokers.

Can anyone recommend one over the other... or perhaps another brand alltogehter?

Thanks Russell... I have read a number of complaints regarding the Maverick and connectivity (short range and loss of connection). In your experience would you say that the Nu-temp works better in these areas?

Tom, I've had Nu-Temps for several years and I really like them. Occasionally, if I'm using 2 or 3 remote transmitters, the channel on the receiver changes, but that's not big deal.

I usually use them at a range of about 40 feet through brick and glass.

The major complaint is that there is no on-off switch for the units, so the batteries (AAA) will run down sooner than you'd expect. Keep a supply on hand or remove the batteries between uses if you don't use them really often -- not a bad idea anyway, but a bit of a nuisance because you have to loosen 4 tiny screws to do so.

You might ask them if there is an upgrade in the works with an on-off switch. I emailed them several weeks ago and got no reply.

Rita

I enjoy my Nu-Temp. I don't have any problems with connection or range. The signal for me has to go only through one or two walls for 30ft.

Note: This is the <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Weber Accessories
Discuss Weber grilling accessories, books, sauces and rubs, backyard gear, and more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> section. You will more feedback on this topic in the Barbecuing or Just Conversation sections.

My Et-73 has lasted for a few years with only one complaint. Poor range. I have not done the antenna mod. It has been durable and accurate. I would buy another one if it failed.

The ET-7 has 2 probes and both are for meat temps. I have one and like it. Its great when cooking 2 different types of meat or using the bottom grate. I have a Tel-Tru thermometer mounted in my lid to keep track of cooker temps.
I also have the ET-73 and have had no problems. The ET-73 has one probe for meat and the other for pit temps.

Back