Which Q to get, 100 or 200 series

JacobY

Hi folks,

I have a Performer Platinum that is coming up on 3 years old (my first real bbq) and love the thing, favorite dishes are ribs and beer-can chicken cooked indirectly. As easy as it is to use and clean the performer, I'm looking to add a gas grill for the occasional hotdog, sausage, burger, kabob, chicken breast, or veggies. I'd bbq more often if I didn't have to break out the performer for 10 minute cook meals.

Family of 4, but kids are only 3 and 6 so other than some hotdogs it's really me and the wife who do the bulk of the bbq eating. Also, the place we're in is temporary, probably won't be here in 3-4 years. I was looking into getting the Genesis EP-330, but am opting for a Q for the time being due to the reasons above.

There, now that you know a bit about me maybe you can help me decide which Q to get :)

Originally I was looking at the 320, but because of it's size I think i'd rather use the performer if I'm going to be grilling that much food. Then I looked at the 220, but got concerned by reading that it doesn't get as hot as the 100 or 300 series. I'd love your opinion on my options and the questions below.

- Will the 120 be big enough for us to grow into over the next few years before upgrading to a larger gas bbq?

- How limiting is the 220 temp difference from the 120, will it prevent the ability to get a crust or sear, and can the 120 do this?

- We don't camp that often (wife is allergic to tents and fire pits) so I plan to keep it in the backyard. Is it worth it to look at a small portable 120 even you really don't plan to move it around?

- Lastly, what would you do in my situation?

Thanks!

Can't speak to the Q200, but I have a Q100 that I picked up off a guy on CL for $25. It came out of a storage unit and needed a little TLC. Just added a Weber cart that I got from a guy also off CL for $20. The picture below shows it on its new cart along side the old B&D workmate that I used to set it on. I love this little thing for doing exactly the type of things you are talking about. It is great for quick items such as chicken beasts, burgers, brats, veggies etc. It also works great for fish. I have one of the hose adapters to hook up a regular gas bottle but I have yet to use it. I know some of the folks on this forum, especially those from down under, do some fantastic and pretty complex things with Q grills. For me it is a simple tool that I use to augment my other grills, especially when time is short and the task is simple. I just can't see grilling a whole chicken on it when I have other grills to chose from. The Q100 is at its best doing simple direct grilling tasks.

I noticed that our local Wal-Mart has the Q120 together with the new cart for something short of $200. As nice as that is, I can't see coming up off that much money when virtually all models are listed constantly on CL. JMHO.

IMAG1135_zpsc866f9f6.jpg

Last edited:
i would say that the q220 is yer best bet. and no, i have no problems with heat on mine. its just doing the trick with the tank.
you would be surprised at how small the 100 can be if you are cooking any real amount of food. and it will really limit you on what
you can cook on it.
being in the bay area, you should be able to get some deals around there on craigslist.i

No issue with 200 series. Really a very good overall unit. Good space and so on. The 300 series though would be more versatile

Thanks for the replies.
I was able to see both the 120 and 220 in person, the size of the 220 certainly is what I'm looking for. And with the confidence in the heating ability of it you gave I think that's what I will shoot for. I plan to get the cart, cover, and regulator.

I have the Q100 as that's all I wanted for tailgating at football games. The 200 was more size than I wanted. For your needs, I'd recommend going larger than the 100
For some reason, these Q's are all over CL in this area. Heck, last weekend one was listed w/ a stand for free.

The fact that the 200 series produces fewer BTUs than either the 100 or 300 series is technically true. However, from a practical standpoint, the difference isn't really noticeable. If the 220 is the right size for your family, buy it with confidence. I have two of them and haven't had a problem with the heat.

Bill

We love our 120. Whichever size you get, I highly reccoment geting the model with the added temp guage and electric starter.

Every time I use a base model Q it makes me appreciate the extra feartures of the 120.

I've owned and used all 3 mentioned over the past 7 years and I have to say it's all about size.
The little Q120 is an awesome little grill, it gets hot quick and grills quick and for 2 adults and a couple of small kiddies, it will manage.
The Q220 is so much larger than it's little brother but for size, I felt it down on BTU's a bit....but it'll do a nice medium steak...just don't expect it to do a rare or blue steak coz it won't happen.....the 220 does a great pizza and it loves grilling veggies...a great allrounder, it'll also roast 2 small chickens at the same time.
The Q320 which is my latest toy....is a beast....2 burners which will makes 21,000 BTu's of grilling power and you can feed an army on one of these units.....probably bit of overkill on my part for it's only the Mrs and I here but I sold my 220 to buy a conventional large 6 burner and I didn't really like it much and drank gas quicker than a V8 supercar so I sold it to a mate with more people In his family and I thought while I could....I'd get the biggest one avail but another 220 would've done ok.
I'd say if you don't want your steaks being rare or blue....the Q220 is for you...great little grill.

Cheers
Davo

I've owned and used all 3 mentioned over the past 7 years and I have to say it's all about size.
The little Q120 is an awesome little grill, it gets hot quick and grills quick and for 2 adults and a couple of small kiddies, it will manage.
The Q220 is so much larger than it's little brother but for size, I felt it down on BTU's a bit....but it'll do a nice medium steak...just don't expect it to do a rare or blue steak coz it won't happen.....the 220 does a great pizza and it loves grilling veggies...a great allrounder, it'll also roast 2 small chickens at the same time.
The Q320 which is my latest toy....is a beast....2 burners which will makes 21,000 BTu's of grilling power and you can feed an army on one of these units.....probably bit of overkill on my part for it's only the Mrs and I here but I sold my 220 to buy a conventional large 6 burner and I didn't really like it much and drank gas quicker than a V8 supercar so I sold it to a mate with more people In his family and I thought while I could....I'd get the biggest one avail but another 220 would've done ok.
I'd say if you don't want your steaks being rare or blue....the Q220 is for you...great little grill.

Cheers
Davo

great feedback. thanks for sharing. One follow up question...I'm getting a Q for tailgating only. I almost always do skirt steak tacos and maybe a few taster brats for my friends. Seems the 100 series gets nice and hot which is perfect for quick sear/grill for skirt steak and i could get a lot on and off fairly quickly. Would that be a correct assessment?

Yep. With a little skill and imagination you'd be amazed how much food can be done on it. YOu'd be amazed if you saw what I pull off with my little Q140 electric

Whilst the little 100 series Qs look small, there's quite a lot of usable real estate on that little unit..coz all the grill can be used..not just a portion and yes they do get quite hot. There's 8,500 BTUs firing under the hood of a Q100/120 compare with 12,000 for the 220.
You can easily cook burgers for 8 people on a little 100 so yeah...plenty big enough!!

Mate,
Easy choice - get the Q320 if you don't need portable. You can cook for 2 or 20, great BBQ to support the Performer when you are doing thos big BBQ gatherings or great for the 10 minute after work grill. About 90% of the size or the E330 but not as high.
I demonstrated cooking on all 3 for Weber Australia for 7 years and own a Q120 and Q220. I use the 120 in my Winnebago Motor Home and can cook anything in it. You can also cook anything in the Q320. so if it is cheaper than the E330 go for it, it will last you at least 10 years.

Cheers

Phil

Cheers
Davo

I'm with Davo with the exception I've never owned anything in the "200" series so I can't speak to those units. We've had a Q120 for 5-6 years now for camping and it's a great little grill - I echo Davo's (and others here) praise for the 120. Just this past Easter we were out camping and a buddy of mine noted it appeared almost every site we'd walk past had a Q100 or Q120 there - the Qs are favourites amongst RVers.

Recently got the Q320 and love it for basic grilling duties. Likely could do with the size of a Q220 but really liked the fact it has 2 burners and can be set up easily for an indirect cook should the need arrise. The better cuts of meat will usually be done on the Performer or WSM - but for dogs, burgs, brats, veggies, etc.... I'll use the Q320. Another factor for me deciding on the Q320 was that I knew I wanted a cart and hose for connection to my 20 lb. cylinder. The cart (and I think a hose???) would need to be purchased separately for the 220 which further closed the price gap. And the cart for the 220 is a folding type cart so because I had no intention of folding it up and moving it, I liked the sturdier cart that came with the 320.

Good luck..........

Last edited:

Back