Which accessories should I start with for 22" weber kettle

Now I found one of the Australian Kettle Cook Book which was requested. This one is the older early 2000's edition which has since been updated.
Now here in Australia these books were written by using a locally made briqette called "Heat Beads" they are larger in size to the Kingsfords briquettes and burn hotter and longer but take longer in time to grey over.
These books come with every Weber Charcoal Kettle from the cheapest model to the dearest. They are expertly explained and brilliantly illustrate so I photographed some of the front set up illustrations.20240213_111459.jpg20240213_111706.jpg20240213_111718.jpg20240213_111736.jpg20240213_111748.jpg20240213_111640.jpg20240213_111908.jpg20240213_111554.jpg

Does the Aussie version cover things like grilled kangaroo, smoked croc and wombat on a skewer?

I’m at least 50% serious, I wonder

Nice photos!

So you're saying the vortex method damages the Weber lid. I've never heard of that but I think most have a black Weber so maybe they don't notice it? I've heard people say it can damage a grate, so it's nice to have a circular grate in the middle which can be removed.

Cool mountains - not much vegetation, I see. A few years ago, I drove up to the top of Mauna Kea - Hawaii's tallest mountain. Almost 14,000 feet above sea level. Had to drive through the clouds to get up there. Completely barren - it was like the surface of the moon. Not a tree, not a bush, not a grass blade. No animals. Nothing. Just rock. And some space observatories. Got out of the car and almost passed out - the air was so thin. Got back in the car and sat a few minutes - recovered.

Mark, to Clarify about the Kettle lid heat, my lid has yet to sustain any damage from heat but having to lift the lid on occasions, yeah it sure gets hot and basically i was suggesting that perhaps using the vortex type coals device may direct too much overall heat towards the centre of the lid. They are not a high lid so the heat is intense aimed towards the centre then the heat is projected down around the sides of the kettle to the food. The handle on my Kettle lid is rusting a bit at the weld but look it's getting some age on it as well, it's now currently 16 years old and used extensively. Maybe you can see in some of the photos I posted the Kettle Kone under the middle grill. I must say though, I love the Gourmet grill and have them on both my Kettles as I can use many accessories in that hole in the centre once the grill section is removed or when i usually use the Kettle Kone, I have nothing in the centre or i use the centre grill grate and place some smoking wood on it and it works well doing this and smoulders a lot slower than placing it directly on the fire.

Yes Our Highest Mountain in Australia is only 2,228 Metres. or around 6,500 feet. You can still breath up there :D

Does the Aussie version cover things like grilled kangaroo, smoked croc and wombat on a skewer?

I’m at least 50% serious, I wonder
I think one of the later versions cover Kangaroo but not croc or Wombat. I don't eat either the 3 although I have tried Kangaroo, it's an extremely lean red meat probably leaner than Turkey. I've never heard of anyone eating Wombat, I think the Native Aboriginals might but they do eat Croc and Kangaroo. One Aboriginal lady once told me they eat Kangaroo often, cooked well done and it helps them to keep regular bowl movements. Aboriginals in the Outback also eat snake, Goannas (large lizards) and witchety grubs (Raw) 1707786609470.png

Hi there Mark E and Brock G for your replies, sorry it has taken me a while to get back as I've been away. I've been so busy lately i haven't even had a chance to light up the Kettles and gave any grilling work to my trusty Q3200 Weber Gas grill. This one is natural Gas not bottle gas....love it!!
I will try and find the Australian Kettle Cook Book and because it began here in the early 70's, it has been updated every few years, one of them was a Weber Kettle salesman back then and one was an established cook who unbeknown to the salesman, had bought her Kettle grill over from the USA on a trip over there.
It could take some weeks to get photos as these books are still packed in boxes from a recent house move.....but i'm eager to get the books out and take photos for you.

How many photos can I post on this forum and how large?

I have the SnS Deluxe but not the griddle pan, I just place a large foil pan under the meat to catch the grease, so I guess it does the same thing but i'll look into it.

I had found when I bought my Sage Green Performer Kettle back in 2008 that when i began dumping a hot load of coals on one side against the side of the kettle that over time, the sage green enamel on the kettle started to pitt and some had flaked off leaving it look a bit pot marked and you can see the original black underneath. So yeah, the high heat isn't great over the long term and is why I'm a little hesitant now on using the vortex method. I have the Australian version which is called Kettle Kone and is more a square Pyramid shape but the intense heat is incredible and I'm concerned over the long term what it's doing to the top of the lid. I've actually wound my temperature guage around the clock....but the chicken wings were awesomely crisp.

Yeah, our Winters are not as severe as those in the USA, probably because overall we don't have the Altitudes you guys do. Compared to the States, Australia is flat but we do get snow in certain parts and mostly on the ranges and towns over 800mtrs and only on the Eastern side of the Country. Where I live, we're on the Border of NSW and Victoria in a town called Albury and we have a twin town on the Victorian side of the border. We are West of the Snowy Mountains and Mt Kosciuszko which is our tallest Mountain. View attachment 86393
Nice photos. :cool: I don't think anyone will complain about too many photos, and also no worries. Respond when you can and have time. Things are pretty laid back here.

FYI, the vortex puts out about
Hi there Mark E and Brock G for your replies, sorry it has taken me a while to get back as I've been away. I've been so busy lately i haven't even had a chance to light up the Kettles and gave any grilling work to my trusty Q3200 Weber Gas grill. This one is natural Gas not bottle gas....love it!!
I will try and find the Australian Kettle Cook Book and because it began here in the early 70's, it has been updated every few years, one of them was a Weber Kettle salesman back then and one was an established cook who unbeknown to the salesman, had bought her Kettle grill over from the USA on a trip over there.
It could take some weeks to get photos as these books are still packed in boxes from a recent house move.....but i'm eager to get the books out and take photos for you.

How many photos can I post on this forum and how large?

I have the SnS Deluxe but not the griddle pan, I just place a large foil pan under the meat to catch the grease, so I guess it does the same thing but i'll look into it.

I had found when I bought my Sage Green Performer Kettle back in 2008 that when i began dumping a hot load of coals on one side against the side of the kettle that over time, the sage green enamel on the kettle started to pitt and some had flaked off leaving it look a bit pot marked and you can see the original black underneath. So yeah, the high heat isn't great over the long term and is why I'm a little hesitant now on using the vortex method. I have the Australian version which is called Kettle Kone and is more a square Pyramid shape but the intense heat is incredible and I'm concerned over the long term what it's doing to the top of the lid. I've actually wound my temperature guage around the clock....but the chicken wings were awesomely crisp.

Yeah, our Winters are not as severe as those in the USA, probably because overall we don't have the Altitudes you guys do. Compared to the States, Australia is flat but we do get snow in certain parts and mostly on the ranges and towns over 800mtrs and only on the Eastern side of the Country. Where I live, we're on the Border of NSW and Victoria in a town called Albury and we have a twin town on the Victorian side of the border. We are West of the Snowy Mountains and Mt Kosciuszko which is our tallest Mountain. View attachment 86393
Nice photos davo, and no worries man. Reply when you have a moment. Things are pretty laid back here.

I thought I could maybe explain your issue with the vortex vs banking coals. Sometimes banking will damage the porcelain, other times not. Coal fires will usually burn somewhere between 500 and 2500 degrees depending on type composition, oxygen, and relative humidity. Porcelain is a baked on finish that gets cooked at a temperature of about 1300 degrees.

It is the surface of the coal that reaches that temperature, an inch away the temperature is less. As the heat radiates out I loses energy. Even in the vortex, the coals should not be able to over heat the porcelain as it is too far away. Now the subject of grates came up. The cheaper plated grates yes, they will receive extra wear from high heat. This is less of a problem with stainless steel. The problem can be offset with stainless grates, and since the coals do not touch the sidewalls your porcelain is protected.

If you still don't trust it, there's no problem. Don't use them. Grill the way you enjoy. That's what we are all here for. :cool:

Nice photos. :cool: I don't think anyone will complain about too many photos, and also no worries. Respond when you can and have time. Things are pretty laid back here.

FYI, the vortex puts out about

Nice photos davo, and no worries man. Reply when you have a moment. Things are pretty laid back here.

I thought I could maybe explain your issue with the vortex vs banking coals. Sometimes banking will damage the porcelain, other times not. Coal fires will usually burn somewhere between 500 and 2500 degrees depending on type composition, oxygen, and relative humidity. Porcelain is a baked on finish that gets cooked at a temperature of about 1300 degrees.

It is the surface of the coal that reaches that temperature, an inch away the temperature is less. As the heat radiates out I loses energy. Even in the vortex, the coals should not be able to over heat the porcelain as it is too far away. Now the subject of grates came up. The cheaper plated grates yes, they will receive extra wear from high heat. This is less of a problem with stainless steel. The problem can be offset with stainless grates, and since the coals do not touch the sidewalls your porcelain is protected.

If you still don't trust it, there's no problem. Don't use them. Grill the way you enjoy. That's what we are all here for. :cool:

I think the Coloured kettles tend to flake some of their paint if the coals are touching one side, especially a large grilling fire as all the chipping of paint on my Sage Performer is on the side where I used to do the fire one side indirect without SnS. I wish someone bought these out 19 years of more ago. I bought a slow n sear deluxe basket with the removable water section and it's a handy bit of kit.
The amount of accessories available whether its by Weber or 3rd party makers is really good these days whereas when i got into Kettle Cooking, there was just things like roasting racks and veggies baskets. We tend to miss out on some of the really good stuff and because the AUD is only worth 0.65 to the USD, we do tend to pay a hefty premium over what you guys do. I'd love to buy another WSM, but a 22.5 inch WSM here now costs $1,160 AUD and the 18.5 inch now costs $860.00 AUD and it's hard to find used ones anywhere for sale. As much as I love the Kettles, for LnS cooking, it's hard to go past the WSM. I used to have one but needed to sell it during a House move. As for the Kettles, the Master touch plus that i have now costs $679.00 AUD and the Performer if I ever need to replace it now costs $989.00 AUD.
AUD meaning Australian Dollars or I call it the Australian Peso coz it's worth nothing :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I think the Coloured kettles tend to flake some of their paint if the coals are touching one side, especially a large grilling fire as all the chipping of paint on my Sage Performer is on the side where I used to do the fire one side indirect without SnS. I wish someone bought these out 19 years of more ago. I bought a slow n sear deluxe basket with the removable water section and it's a handy bit of kit.
The amount of accessories available whether its by Weber or 3rd party makers is really good these days whereas when i got into Kettle Cooking, there was just things like roasting racks and veggies baskets. We tend to miss out on some of the really good stuff and because the AUD is only worth 0.65 to the USD, we do tend to pay a hefty premium over what you guys do. I'd love to buy another WSM, but a 22.5 inch WSM here now costs $1,160 AUD and the 18.5 inch now costs $860.00 AUD and it's hard to find used ones anywhere for sale. As much as I love the Kettles, for LnS cooking, it's hard to go past the WSM. I used to have one but needed to sell it during a House move. As for the Kettles, the Master touch plus that i have now costs $679.00 AUD and the Performer if I ever need to replace it now costs $989.00 AUD.
AUD meaning Australian Dollars or I call it the Australian Peso coz it's worth nothing :LOL::ROFLMAO:
We are heading there ourselves. When I bought my Green 22 inch premium kettle a couple years ago I paid 170 total with taxes and everything.
That same kettle today is priced at $70 US dollars more than I paid before taxes are even added in.

It's a sad reflection on our nations' leadership Davo. I'll keep my fingers crossed that maybe you will win a WSM in a raffle or giveaway sometime soon.

We are heading there ourselves. When I bought my Green 22 inch premium kettle a couple years ago I paid 170 total with taxes and everything.
That same kettle today is priced at $70 US dollars more than I paid before taxes are even added in.

It's a sad reflection on our nations' leadership Davo. I'll keep my fingers crossed that maybe you will win a WSM in a raffle or giveaway sometime soon.
Hehehehe Thanks Brock.....I can't even win an argument with the wife, let alone a new smoker :D

Hehehehe Thanks Brock.....I can't even win an argument with the wife, let alone a new smoker :D
Ouch, and you're welcome. As used to be said on the old "Red Green" TV show, "So remember, we're all in this together. I'm pulling for ya."

Just had a chance to look through the pictures after work. Very nice, and thank you for providing them.

amzn has the aussie bbq kettle cookbook 2001 edition ( used good condition )

another used book seller has different date revisions:

don't tell @Joan there are recipes in these :devilish::devilish::devilish:

Last edited:
amzn has the aussie bbq kettle cookbook 2001 edition ( used good condition )

another used book seller has different date revisions:

don't tell @Joan there are recipes in these :devilish::devilish::devilish:
Now that might be something. Maybe she could mail them a few to put in their next revision. :cool:

Back