Where to get wood and meat question

AaronH

TVWBB Member
As the title says... Where do you all get wood and meat for your smoker. If you are in the Boston area local places would be great (south shore of Boston would be even better) or are there places online which you order from. What I have found at local butcher shops is it seems they just order from somewhere else pre-packed and hey I wanna cut out the middle man if that's the case.

Thanks!!

It's probably not very cost effective, but it certainly is convenient because my local Ace Hardware store is just up around the corner. I buy smoking wood and firewood there . . . as well as just about any barbeque item that I need. I don't know if it's just my Ace Hardware, but they sure have an extensive BBQ section. Here's an Ace Hardware store in Boston;

656 Centre St
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130

You could call them to see if they have wood and a decent BBQ section like mine does.

For meats, I simply made friends with the meat department manager at my neighborhood grocery store. He always keeps an eye out for good deals for me and he can order Select grade meats for me if I want him to. You might find success getting to know your local meat department manager like I did . . .

Thanks for the info. I noticed that Ace, Home Depot and Lowes had wood and BBQ stuff like that.

I am off to schmooze my way into being friends with a few store people!

Thx

I get my ribs from Costco's in Avon, for $2.99lb loin back & 1.79lb spares. I used to get my briskets (whole packers) from Crocetti's (Oakdale Packing) in East Bridewater for $2.49lb, but now go to the newly opened Walmart in North Attleboro for $1.86lb for the same brand. Costco's also sells pork butts in cryovac (2 per package-boneless), but I usually go to Stop & Shop or Roche Bros. and order a single butt, bone-in for $1.49lb.

You can get hickory chips or chunks from any of the home centers or Bass Pro Shop, but to get other types of wood in chunk form, I recomend Nature's Own chunk charwood in Warwick Rhode Island. Natures Own

Ed

Originally posted by Ed Roach:
You can get hickory chips or chunks from any of the home centers or Bass Pro Shop, but to get other types of wood in chunk form, I recomend Nature's Own chunk charwood in Warwick Rhode Island. Natures Own

Very nice thanks!!

I live south of Boston and have a hard time getting wood myself. The big stores will have Mesquite and Hickory, but the wood looks bad (very old, often green, not fresh)

I have been buying online, but that in my book is dicey too, sometimes you get very small pieces.

I have heard Previte's in Weymouth is a good butcher shop, I am buying a butt there tomorrow will let you know how it goes.

One thing I have learned is smoking around Boston unfortunately requires a lot of driving.

Tom, let me know how the meat goes, and thanks for the info about the bad wood.

Yeah doesn't look like there are many of us around these parts.

I just returned from a trip to Costco's in Avon. The ribs were $2.79lb for loin back and $1.59lb for spares! Needless to say I grabbed both and will be enjoying them this holiday weekend!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Aaron, I'd take road trip to the Western part of the state. Bring a chainsaw and a truck. Look for the orchards. Guarantee, with all the fruit stands I saw last time I was out there, you're bound to find plenty of down trimmings from trees. They might even be free

Originally posted by Dave/G:
BJ's Wholesale has good meat of all kinds

Cool because here on the south shore we had a Sam's that closed and no Costco for miles but a few BJs around local. I will have to check them out if we ever get rid of all this snow!!!

Back