Where to get 55 gallon steel drums?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Some time back I found plans on the net for building a cooker from two (maybe three) 55 gallon steel drums (sealed lid variety). I was planning on building the thing, but can't figure out where to start looking for the drums. I can buy new or used from various sources I've found, but with shipping they're around $100 each. I was hoping for something near free. Has anyone hear built a cooker from these? And, any idea where to find them? Not specific (though if you know of someplace in northeast PA or north to mid Jersey - great), but just hints on where to start looking.

I love the WSM, but am thinking I might want to cook something bigger, like a whole hog, or just feed an army with brisket and pork butts.

Look for a feed mill that mixes sweet feed for horses. Drums of molases used by these places.

Also someone said popcorn comes in 55 gal drums. Don't know where to look for that though!

Ask for "tighthead" drums.

Good luck, Jim.

Check the yellow pages in a big city near you. Look it up several different ways, you'll find something. Check oil drums, steel supply, etc. They are readily available, new and used.

I was looking for some last year, for other purposes. They were about $10-20 for new in Houston.
Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back