where to eat in st louis?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I'm going to be staying just outside of st louis next week for about 8 days, training for a new job. never been to that part of the country. I'm probably only going to get a couple chances to get into the city. where is the best bbq? I'm used to carolina barbque, and am looking to get a taste of st louis.

Hello Will, welcome to the VWB! The list that Jason posted is just about right on, although it is a bit outdated. Super Smokers has only one joint now and it is located on I-44 (west) in Eureka, MO. I'll post another list below if you want a few more options. There are a few joints over here in IL too if you want to expand your options. Two that come to mind are Hartford Ribs located in Hartford IL just off of RT 3. Carver's (my future main competitor) is located in Alton IL off of Homer Adams Parkway. Carver's does have a good sauce that is about as close to Carolina style you'll get around these parts. Now if you happen to be in or around Clayton Mo on a Saturday morning, we (Blues Hog Bill Arnold and I) have a tent set up at the Clayton Farmers Market located in the Straub's (grocery store) parking lot. We offer a sauce that just might meet or beat your Carolina urges. Stop by and see us! Enjoy your trip and good eatin' to ya!

StL BBQ

Rick

My parents actually live about a mile from the 17 Street Bar and Grill in O'Fallon but I haven't been back since it was built. It's only a few months old at that location. For what its worth, it was voted best bbq by Bon Appetit Magazine
icon_confused.gif
Take that for what it's worth coming from a gourmet magazine.

17th Street Bar and Grill is just okay. Pulled pork has a lot to be desired. Ribs are okay....just pricey. Rick had the right idea; Super Smokers is very good and award winning.

Jason....say hi next time you're in town!!

thanks for all the info. flying out in the morning. can't wait to try out some new places.

I was in the St. Louis area about a month ago and did an Internet search for barbecue restaurants. I found Super Smokers listed, but then found this article saying that Super Smokers had closed down in early 2006: Super Smokers Closes

The article goes on to say that a former Super Smokers employee has revealed that Super Smoker's distinct flavors were due to male employees peeing on the wood before it was used for BBQ. Interesting...

Excuse me now, I've got to go pull my hickory chunks out of my toilet.

It's been about three years since I was there, but I had a pretty good meal at Bandana's BBQ. I enjoyed the ribs and their fried corn was very good. I ate at the Maryland Heights location.

Yeah, Bandana's is okay for a chain restaurant. The wife likes their sweet sauce. I refuse.
icon_smile.gif

It'd be kind of hard to pee on the wood pile when all they cook on at Super Smokers are two FE 750's and an extra FE 300 that they use for cooking whole hogs. All three are pellet burners.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Rick

A lot of the real authentic BBQ from years past has left St. Louis. On the north side of town there are still a couple of holes in the wall that are decent. There's a joint called Grandpa Mischeaux's that specializes in gigantic burgers and half-way decent ribs. Ropers BBQ is also pretty tasty. My favorite joint in St. Louis was McCrary's, but somehow I don't think his real recipe was passed on to his relatives. Bandanan's was pretty good (depending on the day). I never was a big fan of Super Smokers. Believe it or not, it was the citrus flavor that turned me off. God, I hope those claims are not true.

I would have to say IMHO that the best BBQ in the St. Louis area would have to be Smoky Bones in Illinois. Really good smoke flavor, flavorful meat and the sauce was quite good.

Of course, I've lived in Maryland for the past four years so I'm sure things have changed.

Back