Where to buy wood chunks

Dave Amidon

Can anyone tell me a good place online or around the Milwaukee area to buy wood chunks. The only thing I am finding is wood chips (the small little pieces) or just Hickory and Mesquite in chunks. I am looking for differnet types other then those two.

Thank you

Dave,

I bought mine from Cabela's. Chunks from Cabela's

Price was reasonalbe, and the shipping price was the best that I found anywhere on the web. If i recall correctly you can get several bags in before the shipping charge goes up.

My chunks have been keeping me going since I bought them and the quality was good. No tiny sliver or chips. Just chunks.

I hope that helps ya.

Josh

You can try your local firewood store. However, firewood stores have wood logs but not wood chunks. Here is a Wisconsin firewood store. Wisconson Firewood This site also has a few good links on firewood. Contact the stores to see what the smallest amount they will sell.

I called one place in my area and the smallest they sold was a 1/4 cord(which is enough to fill up the back of a pickup truck. I finally found a firewood place that sold them by the bag.

Note again: The pieces are big and I used a reciprocal saw to cut them into smaller usable pieces.

Thank's everyone for your suggestions, but I found a place here locally that sells chunks in there store. It is the Sportsmans Warehouse if anyone is interested.

Thank's again

Dave, I'm new to the Wisc area, I'm in Wauwatosa and was wondering the same exact thing, about where to find wood. Where is this Sportsmans Warehouse and what kind of prices are their wood?

Try locating prunings from people who have fruit or hardwood trees. Most will gladly give it away. Check tree services. Are there any orchards around? Try them, I got 1/4 of a cord of cherry for a rack of rids. Another thought is saw mills that work with hardwoods. I had some oak flooring put in and kept the scraps for smoking and grilling. Of coarse they were un-treated, so try hardwood floor suppliers they may just give you the ends. The oak is quite good by the way.

Try your local nursery. They usually carry wood for fireplaces and fire pits. I found hickory, cherry, apple, and oak split logs dried out. They give off a nice smell in fire pits and are great in your WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh Z.:
I bought mine from Cabela's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I ordered apple and cherry from them last year. The chunks are nice. The website used to say "You get 10 pounds"; it now says "approximately 10 pounds", probably because the bags I got were 7.5 and 8.5 pounds, respectively. They sent me a free bag to make up the shortage, after I complained.

Kevin,

It is located just north of I-43 and Moreland Rd.

I paid $10.50 for a 5 lb. bag. I figured that was still cheaper then buying on line and paying shipping cost's

If you come up with anything else let me know.

Back