When to rub the bird???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Studley

I plan on using the "Spicy Texas Turkey" Recipe that Chris Allingham put up on the board.
The question I have is this;
When do you recommend that I rub the bird?
The night before or an hour before?
This will be the maiden voyage for my WSM. Wish me luck!

Steve S

I have tried it both ways. I cannot tell any difference. I have read here on the forum that the rub will not penetrate the skin of poultry anyway. Good luck with the bird!!! Happy Thanksgiving. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

FYI, Louisiana Fish Fry sells a "Cajun" seasoning that is not quite as hot as Tony's "Creole" seasoning. It tastes very good as well. Just my opinion though.

Steve........

Jim brings up a good point......rub will not penetrate that skin. So, you should separate the skin from the bird, being careful to keep it attached. Use your hands to gently lift it away from the body.

Rub generously and then let the skin fall back into place. Now you can rub the skin....but only if you are going to eat it. If you throw the skin away, then save time and money and don't rub the skin.

I never read a recipe that I couldnt tweak and call my own.

I was planning on using my own rub mix.
Taking a stick of butter and mixing it with 2-3 Tbls of rub and putting that under the skin along with pouring my rub in every orifice i can find on the critter and then on the skin.

But, the question still stands is it better to rub the night before or does it matter?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving
Steve S

Steve
If you don't mind me asking....how can this be your first time using the WSM when you are member #808?

The curiosity is killing me. But you can just
ignore this if you want.

Peter

Pete,

You are very observant. I started out with a brinkman and earned my stripes the hard way and finally the wife agrees that it is time for promotion. So, from what I can see the WSM is heads and tails over my old ECB. I am very impressed with the weber quality and I did do a pre burn last night that lasted quit awhile with a few coals and a couple of pieces of wood. I have used this board for many things as you can imagine.
Nice to meet you Pete.

Happy Thanksgiving
Steve S

Steve....

I like to do the night before, but quite honestly, when we compete, the rub goes on and sometimes you only have a couple of hours to let it sit. Even with the short time, it still turns out pretty darn good.

So, I say, do it when it is convenient!

I only throw on some rub to take the glare off the ghostly palor of turkey skin. My seasonings go in the brine and under the skin.

The bird is rubbed. Under the skin and in the cavity.
Tommorrow I will butter it up and rub the skin and put it on to smoke.
All the replies were much appreciated.

-Steve S

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Studley:
[qb] I started out with a brinkman and earned my stripes the hard way and finally the wife agrees that it is time for promotion.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Same here Steve. I was reading this site for a couple of months and getting good BBQ information that applied to my ECB. Finally convinced myself to get the WSM and have really been enjoying it.

Good luck with the turkey, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back