When to Baste?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If anyone is out there at the moment, I have a question about basting.

At 4:15 Eastern time I started my first smoking project. I put on two turkey breasts. One is a full breast and weighs about 5 lbs. The other is a split breast that weighs in at about 3.

I brined them overnight, rinsed them and put them in without any type of rub or marinade.

I melted a stick of butter with about a half cup of honey but I'm afraid that if I start them with this glaze, the honey might brown too much.

I have the water pan in but empty and I'm shooting for about 325 - 350 cooking temp.

Any advice on when whether I should go ahead and glaze them or if I should wait an hour or so would be much appreciated.

I brine mine, cook at 325-350, throw on a little rub-- more for color probably than anything else-- and don't really baste. The brine moistens the meat and I'm looking for crispy skin. If you're going to do any thing with sugar in it at that temp, I would wait until only about 1/2 hour remains.

Thank you Doug, that's what I needed to know. I just checked the temperature and it's currently running at about 343 degrees. I'm thinking 2 1/2 hours maybe? I hope this works!

If it were me, I'd try the honey butter on one and leave the other plain-- just so you can experience how good just brined, smoke-cooked turkey can be. Roast turkey breast prepared with a flavor brine is a wonderful thing. Be sure to let it rest 15 minutes , covered in foil after you take it off, and slice it across the grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back