What's the Difference

RonW.

TVWBB Member
This is my Spirit that I refurbished, nice huh! I has the short fire box with one row of flavorizing bars.

Not sure if this is a Spirit or not, but it seemd to have a taller fire box with two rows of flavorizing bars.

So, what's the difference?

RonW.

Hi Ron,

The bottom grill is a Genesis 1100 LX. Deeper firebox, taller lid, 2 rows of flavorizers (13 total), and slightly different length and spacing on the burners. I want to say the grates are a different size too but don't quote me on it.

Compared to a standard Genesis 1000, the slats on the bottom (vs a wire rack) makes it an 1100 and the durawood (vs real wood) makes it an LX.

I believe your 2nd one with the black hood is a genesis 1000. It looks exactly like mine that is that model.

Great grill. I love mine. The 2 rows of flavorizers really minimize flare ups.

Hi Ron,

The bottom grill is a Genesis 1100 LX. Deeper firebox, taller lid, 2 rows of flavorizers (13 total), and slightly different length and spacing on the burners. I want to say the grates are a different size too but don't quote me on it.

Compared to a standard Genesis 1000, the slats on the bottom (vs a wire rack) makes it an 1100 and the durawood (vs real wood) makes it an LX.

The bottom image is the one I bought two weeks ago. I need to update my rehab posting with some lessons learned from the effort, and new pictures later this week when I get back. When I ran the serial numbers, its a Genesis 1100. It is not the LX, and the wood is real wood (just painted grey, and seemingly original). I sanded it all down and finished staining it last weekend. It has 13 FB.

Here's a quick pic I took the other day just after putting the wood on. I'll try to properly update my other post with more detail and proper pics.

25f2cz9.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job, mine was in terrible shape when I took it all apart. The frame was corroded so bad that I had to make a new frame out of 1" sq. tubing. The bottom rack and side table was not worth saving so I improvised with the new wood side shelf and added a bottom shelf as well. The sticker on the control side was faded and could not be read, so i'm still not sure what model mine is: Spirit 700 or 1000.

Thanks,

RonW.

Looks like a great rehab. You did a wonderful job. Look on the bottom of the control panel and see if there is anything there for a number. Might help maybe.

Ron,
I would guess you have a Spirit 700 based on your pics. Did your have the two plastic shelves and the single lower grid shelf? Did it look like this before the rehab?

This was my Weber 700 Spirit that I purchased new in 1999. It was the one of the first designs to use the single flavorizer bar setup with the shallower cook box that became the norm on the next generation B/C models. The grates are the same as the Genesis 1000-5000 models too. I added the caster wheels when I cleaned mine up this past year.

Jeff

Yes Jeff it looked just like yours but it had wood in lieu of the plastic.

Thanks,
RonW.

Back