What's the best way to add fuel for long smoke?

Craig C

TVWBB Fan
Howdy folks, if I'm faced with a 24 to 27 hr chuck roll smoke, how and when would be the best way to add fuel? Lit or unlit charcoal? At the 12 hr mark or later? Thanks for any help.

Lots of different ways to do it. If you really pack the charcoal in, You'll get more than 12 hours burn time in.
Unless you let the coals get down to low, no need to add lit fuel. Some people use the door for a chute and let the charcoal just slide in. Some have used long handled little garden shovels. Some people take the middle section off and refuel. (To much work for me lol)
Myself, I just grab a handful and sit it in there. Probably get a few replies that this method is unsafe, (not the smartest way I do admit lol
icon_eek.gif
) but it has worked for me for years.
If that chuck roll is that big, make sure you take the chill off of it before you toss it on, and if using water, start with hot water. Takes a lot of burn to get a big chuck going.

I did a 26 lb chuck roll couple of months ago. When the temp started looking like it needed fuel, after about 14 hrs, I opened the door and tossed in 30 briquettes after a couple of hours I tossed in 30 more. If I were to do it again I would put the first 30 in at 12 hrs to keep the temp up a up a little sooner, I also stirred the coals at the 12 hr mark so most of the ash dropped into the bottom and gave the fire a breath of fresh air.

I do it like Bob T. At 10 hours or so I start throwing in about a dozen briquetts every hour or two.

I read somewhere if you add too many at a time your temps would suffer. That is why I don't throw on too many at a time.

Longest cook I've done is about 12-14 hours. I like to add a few unlit briquettes at a time while I still have some control over the temp
(before I have all of the bottom vents at 100% open). I use tongs to spread them out. I go thru the door. This may sound weird but I have used a flashlight to make sure I get some on the opposite side from the door!LOL

Back