What's it worth

Ed Cardoza

TVWBB Pro
Hey guys and gals, I have a Stoker that I am thinking about selling so I can get the new model with built in WIFI. It will just be the unit and no probes or blowers. What do you think a fair price will be on this unit that is less than a year old?

Lets say you paid $300 for the system.

The buyer will need a blower - 5CFM $60
The buyer will need a pit sensor(?) $35
The buyer will need a WSM adapter $25

$300 - 60-35-25 = $180

50% off for used product = $90

So... I can get a one year old stoker for $90+60+35+25 = $210

If I really wanted a Stoker, would I be tempted for 30% off a new one (that is a newer model)?

Shipping for buying the needed extras also comes into play.

I'd say $90 tops for for the unit. $190 for extra's included.

You'll need to find a Stoker Fan. BBQ Guru Party Q for $129

Feel free to juggle the numbers as you please.

Ed,

I just did what you are thinking about: I bought a new controller (and other items I need) even though my white box and WGA work great. I am probably keeping my white controller as a back up (competitions) but I gave your question some thought when I was deciding whether to buy a black box.

I do not think there is much of a market for used Stokers. I would place the value on a used controller unit at 75-100 shipped. I give that range because there is no way I would buy a used one for 100, but I would almost certainly buy a used one for 75.

Relatedly, I have been looking for a used 10cfm fan, but nobody seems to be selling. I think most people would be more likely to sell a set up, for whatever reasoin, than individual components.

Well after reading these last two posts, I am better off keeping the unit. There is no way that I can sell it for that low of a price, and now that these low ball prices are out there, it will be impossible for me to get what I need for this unit that is less than a year old.

Thanks for the help folks.

Ed, actually I think there's more of a market than ever for a used non-WiFi Stoker as it's my understanding that you cannot buy a Stoker today without Wi-Fi. So, if someone doesn't want a Wi-Fi Stoker for whatever reason, maybe their patio is hardwired and they don't want to spend the extra $ on Wi-Fi they'll never use, the used market is the only place they can go if they want a Stoker.

I say hold on to her until peak BBQ season and throw that baby on eBay at a starting bid of $99 and let her roll! Don't mean to sound greedy or anything, it's really about value to the purchaser and the great thing about eBay is the market will tell you what the value is by their bids. I just did a couple of searches on eBay and didn't see a single Stoker out there.

I'd pay $100 for that delivered. I have the WIFI black box but could always use a cottage ATC. Also, I can see hardwire comp cooks being interested? Regardless, the market will dictate.

I follow eBay religously and have never seen a Stoker on eBay.

Just picked up a NanoQ for $100 with a "buy it now" which was only used a couple of times and was in fab condition. DigiQ's are going for around $280 new with free shipping. Seen 2 used CyberQ's recently, one went for $250 with a "buy it now" and the other one was an auction and it went for $350.

I think you will make more money on here or on eBay if you sell the stoker with all the probes and the fan.

Just curious, what do you want for just the controller and what would you want for the whole package?

Back