What's growing in my sand pan?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It is brown. It is rancid. It was in my sand pan until I checked it and dumped it.

Have you checked your's lately?

Not in my sand pan but once I did have a brown/tan "mold" in the WSM (on the grates, inside the center section). It was very moist in the smoker and I didn't use it in a while (probably close to two months). I was the middle of the summer so I just chalked it up to heat+moisture+food=mold.

I just gave it a VERY thorough cleaning and burned it empty for a little while before the next use. I guess the answer is to never go that long between uses!

Do you cover your sand with foil? Are the drippings getting into your sand?

I cover the sand with two layers of HD foil.
I usually change the outer foil and leave the other. I have been lazy and have not changed it in a while. Sand is great...

It doesn't take a lot of leakage to get some crap growing in there. The sand absorbs it well and you might not see it in the sand until it starts to grow. Change the sand from time to time, it's inexpensive. I still use water, even on 20 hour cooks I only refill 2 times tops!!

Nick P.

While I haven't noticed any growth of anything, although I put heavy duty foil over my sand and tuck it up under the rim of the pan every time I use the WSM, I still get drops of grease in the sand. Have yet to figure out how it gets there.

Tom

I waited a week to empty my water pan and the grease in some spots got a bit furry. Dont sweat it, germs dye at 140 degrees so your cooker will fight the infectin on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back