What's a good brisket price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
Just wondering. Please Texans, don't rub it in too much.

Anyone in the Chicago area have a feeling for what's a good price? I just called several local butchers and got prices from $2.98 to $4.69 / lb, untrimmed, whole briskets. Not a member at Sam's or Costco, but I see that in the future.

Done a lot of pork and poultry on the WSM. I've got a mean craving for some beef now.

A Texan chimin' in...

I've really seen it vary, even the last few weeks, from $0.79 to $3.99 a pound. I have no idea what the differences are...maybe age. I got some a week ago for 0.99 a pound and will be doing them this weekend. Maybe later I'll spring for the more expensive ones (they look the same to me) and see if there is taste difference).

The local grocery stores (kroger, etc) can actually be lower than the wholesale clubs when they have sales or you use their loyalty cards.

The local grocery store I frequent (Festival Foods)
sells trimmed Brisket for $3.29/lb and untrimmed
for $2.79/lb. I picked up an untrimmed cryovac
10lb'er yesterday. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Doesn't seem right answering my question but here it goes anyway.

Just went to my favorite little grocer (an independent) and they'll sell me a cryovac brisket for $1.69/lb with the stipulation that they won't touch it and I have to order it at least a day in advance. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Definitely the best deal I've seen so far. They also always sell pork butts for $.99.

I think the family will be eating brisket this weekend!

I have had this number written down at my desk for well over a year now. Just finally called and they sell untrimmed for $1.80/lb.

Excel Corned Beef Co
1009 W Lake St
(312) 666-2535

Then while you are theer you may as well stop by Peoria Packing (cash only) and pick up some great spares, etc. This place is quite the experience.

Peoria Packing Ltd
1300 W Lake St
(312) 738-1800

Sure is nice having cheap beef here in Texas. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jamieson,

The trek down to Lake St. sounds like it might be an adventure worth taking. Next weekday off, maybe I'll venture downtown.

Does the difference in price have to do with the different USDA "grading" of beef? The local grocery store will have brisket for $2.99/lb which is a select grade and the butcher shop will have it at $3.99/lb for choice grade and up. I usually get the choice grade, I assume since the marbling is better on a better grade that is good money spent? Any responses.

Dave,

I've asked that question to each of the places that I've contacted and so far everyone is selling me Choice beef. I haven't asked at the supermarket, were I bet they would be selling me Select. I can't comment on what's sold at the warehouse outlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back