Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've got $500 to spend and I can get either:

Weber Genesis Gold C @ $499

or

Weber 22 1/2" One Touch Platinum $199
Weber Rotisserie Unit $99
BBQ Guru $200

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

All I have now is the WSM and an Cheapo Gasser that is headed for GoodWill.

Tom,
Since that gasser is headed for GoodWill and not the curb, it must be good enough to use for another year. And the BBQ Guru will fit on that Weber 22 1/2" as well as the WSM (or you can buy another adapter for $15 and quick connect the Guru to either. I'd go for the latter!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Id hate to say this but I would probably get the gold C. Wsm can be used for all your charcoal needs. A gasser is nice for burgers, dogs, and other sorts of everyday quick and easy.

Tom

The Genesis Gold C is a helluva buy. I personally like a gas grill and don't intend to be without one. I've got my old Genesis 2000 and a Summit Silver A.

You can do the indirect cooking you could do on a kettle on your WSM. You can also do some direct grilling over lump or charcoal on your WSM. Come to think of it, maybe that's all you really need ? But then, wouldn't it be lonely sitting there all by itself.

Paul

I just kicked my old Sunbeam gasser to the curb & bought a 22-1/2" One Touch Platinum plus the rotisserie attachment. I have been completely happy with both. My family loves the rotisserie chicken & the cleanup of the Platinum is a breeze. Now I'm saving my pennies to get the BBQ Guru.
I don't miss my gas grill at all.

Notice everyone who owns a Weber gas grill recommends it. Including me. You'll use it a lot more than a charcoal grill but I do also recommend the porcelainized cast iron grates.

However $500 could also buy great knives, a Foodsaver and a chest freezer all of which I couldn't live without.

I love my Weber gasser and think that route would be your best option. I use my gasser 3 to 4 times per week, even in the winter. It is so much less hassle than a charcoal grill. Just my opinion though!

If you want to impress your guests a Rotisserie is a nice toy. If you want to cook awesome chicken spend far less on a pair of Wusthoff kitchen shears and learn to cut out the spines.

A well marinaded and seasoned spatchcock chicken with rub under the skin that has been cooked on both sides over charcoal always tastes better than Rotisserie IMO. Rotisserie does a poor job of getting smoke and radiation to the inside cavity. Spatchcock also scales to 8 to 10+ birds on a Ranch kettle.

As for Gas v. Charcoal. My opinion is charcoal tastes better and gas is easier (but not by mush with gas lighting and one touch cleanup). Better a used gasser than an unsued charcoal kettle.

Just my $0.02,

My 2? I'd get the gasser. I end up using mine a lot more in the winter when I probably wouldn't take the time out in the cold to set up a kettle. Granted, I'm not in Florida...

It's also great if you get home late and just want a quick somethin'.

How about a $500 rack of reds to play in a 10-20 Omaha poker game? LOL, actually that sounds pretty appealing, may have to play some Omaha this weekend!

I've had a Weber Genesis for about 10 yrs. It sits outside covered, when not in use, all year round. I couldn't live without it. The day it quits, I'm going to the nearest store and buy another. Cash, check, or charge what ever it takes. I also love my wsm smoker.

I would definitely get the Gold C. I find that I use it more because it is easy to just fire up and it is ready within minutes. This means that I can use the grill many times when I would not be able to wait for charcoal.

By the way it is $100 cheaper on Amazon than it was last year, or even last month. i am not sure how long that is going to last.

I'd go down on bended knee and put on puppy dog eyes and say "Tom, ol' buddy...can ya'll spare a few C-notes?!?" /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Naw...go with the Genesis C. Good for those times when ya'll gotta get the food out pronto, with very little BBQ finesse, but still wanna impress the pants off the guests. I personally don' t own a gasser and prefer a regular wood/briq burner. Nothin' beats my li'l Aussie Walkabout grill ($45 from Home Depot) in most of my situations!!

Mark

Tom, given the choice as you described it, I'd also get the gasser. It's nice to be able to come home, fire it up, and slap a steak on without all the hassle. If that isn't you and you can always plan ahead of time, then the kettle grill is awesome.

Get the gasser and save another $500 to get the kettle, rotisserie ring, and guru.

I have a Coleman gasser bought in 2000 (great grill), WSM, guru, platinum kettle, rotisserie ring, and smokey joe. The gasser and WSM/guru get used most of the time. Only when I have a group coming over do I bother to fire up the kettle.

I hope that helps.

So Tom,

Maybe I missed it butt, what did you decide to buy with that 500 bucks??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Actually, I had the WSM already.

However, I mulled over my decision too long and Amazon made it for me: they sold out of the Genesis Gold at the sale price of $499, so I have the Platinum, the rotisserie, and the Guru on order.

Heck, I can always get a gasser... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back