What woud YOU do?

JimT

TVWBB Pro
I've got one cook under my belt using lump and a GURU (see this post). This coming weekend, I'm doing an overnight, 4 butt cook to feed around thirty people. Naturally, I'd like to have it right.

I've still got two bags of the the "old" K left. Should I go with the "old", use the "new" or use lump?

My mind's made up that I'll use the GURU, but should I use water in the pan, or go dry?

What would YOU do?

A nervous JimT

Old K with water in the pan.... sorry about that I didn't see the Guru part. Never used the devise, so can't help you.

Paul

Hey Jim

I'll chime in with my great experience of 4 cooks with the guru
icon_biggrin.gif
. . Use the olk and set the guru at 240.Close the top vent to 1/3 and the bottom damper to about 25%. This will keep it from overshooting the temp as the night goes by, it also helps keep down the natural draft in the cooker so you wont get a temp spike. I would start checking them at about hour 11 if there 8lbers. Oh yeah no need to use water.Just foil the pan with some extra wide alumfoil 2 layers should do.

Enjoy
Jeff

I haven't done 4 butts, but 2 butts over a packer brisket. I agree on the no water in the pan, and did my cook with lump. I added a little more lump at the 14 hour mark, but I think I would've made it without the additional lump. Just decided it was better to have too much than not enough, especially since you can easily shut it down when you're done, and reuse whatever is left.

I've already mixed lump and K-ford with no problems. Like Jeff said, 1/3 open on top, Guru damper 50% for me. 25% will not hurt either.

I have a 9.8# Picnic, and an 8# butt getting ready to go on tonight. Royal oak lump and Pecan wood for me.

I add 3-4 sheets of crumpled and un-crumpled heavy duty foil to the pan before covering. The folks at The BBQ GURU suggest this method to provide a shield from the heat below.

Also, which size fan do you have? I have been running the 4CFM wide open for a couple of years without incident. If you have the 10 CFM then I agree with the others.

Al

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Al Silverman:
I add 3-4 sheets of crumpled and un-crumpled heavy duty foil to the pan before covering. The folks at The BBQ GURU suggest this method to provide a shield from the heat below.

Al </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dumped the sand, and am using the crumpled up foil for this cook.

Back