What to do with "chewy" pulled pork?

JimT

TVWBB Pro
I did a little experiment over the weekend. Cooked a couple of butts at 300 to 310 grate temp without foiling. They came out pretty good, but I either took them off the smoker too soon, or didn't let them rest long enough (or both.) I went ahead and pulled them, but the meat seems a little tough or "chewy." The pulled pork is now vac packed in one pound bags in the freezer.

Here's the questions: If I were to take one of those vac packed bags and put it in gently boiling water for a couple hours of so, would the meat continue the cooking process/collagen breakdown and become more tender? Are there any downsides like taste or texture?

Shoot, as I'm writing this, I'm telling myself to just go do it and see what happens. Not like I'm out a lot of money or anything!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Your thoughts would still be appreciated,

JimT

I agree. And I'm with Jim on thawing first. If you want to keep it in the bags (which is fine) don't boil them. Bring the water to a simmer then add the bags. See if you can keep the temp in the 170-180 range. (I cook duck confit this way from the cured-but-raw state, in bags, 180 water, 9-10 hours. With the burner on very low and the pot only partially covered, I can maintain 180 pretty well.) Try a couple hours but it is hard to go too long if the water stays in that temp range.

Jim T - If you did cook at 300 - 310, you may have cooked through the breakdown phase of the meat. I've actually done this on purpose to make better "slices", but I've never had them tough. I've cooked at higher temperatures, taking them to 190 or so. Enough connective tissue remains to get some nice slices, AND have the tenderness thats so desired.

As for reheating, go w/ Jim and Kevin!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you did cook at 300 - 310, you may have cooked through the breakdown phase of the meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Quite true--temp-wise. In other words, if you cook at high heat the temps can indicate this (we're used to a plateau when we low/slow) by zipping right through the 160s and heading higher. But rendering still occurs and it will still take some time, irrespective of what the therm says. If pulled sooner, adequate breakdown of connective tissue will not have occurred and the meat could read as tough, especially if pulled, less so or not at all if sliced against the grain, as is typical.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
(I cook duck confit this way from the cured-but-raw state, in bags, 180 water, 9-10 hours. With the burner on very low and the pot only partially covered, I can maintain 180 pretty well.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, I'd have half expected you would have one of those immersion circulator things.

Funny you should mention that and post that auction. I'm in on that one. I've been so far unsuccessful in auctions for these or for bath-type units and the prices for new units are pretty high. One of these days... . Till then I am limiting my sous vide cooking to foods and processes (like confit or finishing pastrami) to those which work well at 170-180 (an easy temp for me to hit and maintain).

Back