What to buy

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I need some advice. Big Green Egg or Weber Bullet smoker. My main goal is smoked food not grilled. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

You're kidding, right?

I think the Egg is a good cooker, but I don't have any personal experience.

However, it is heaver than heck, difficult to move around unless you get one of those dollys (and then you have to be concerned about any steps you might have to negotiate).

It's expensive as heck.

And nothing cooks any better than the WSM regardless of price.

Now over on the BGE forum, they might tell you different.

(oh yeah, and they break! and there's that thing about flashback if you open the lid too quickly...)

Maybe I'm just biased...

I have both style of cookers but I was given the ceramic cookers and I bought WSMs.

A BGE is a very good cooker, in my opinion it is a better grill than slow cooker but again that is my opinion.

Understand that it is ceramic and they are breakable, the firebox is the biggest problem.
BGE or Primo are outstanding grills, can get pit temps of 700 to 1000.

Ceramic cookers are quite expensive per sq inch of grate space. You can get 3 WSMs for the price of one large BGE.
Jim

On a WSM site you are only going to get WSM encouragement!!

WSM all the way...if you tip it over you pick it back up...if you tip over a BGE it breaks!!
icon_frown.gif

welcome Mark,

You're going to get a biased opinion here just as you'd get the same by posting at the BGE site.

I was faced with a similar dilema, went with the WSM mostly because of cost. I love it and wouldn't trade it. Both cookers win competitions, both produce great Q. Chose a tool and learn how to use it and you'll be satisfied with either choice I'm sure.

The support and information at this site of how to use you're WSM to its maximum potential is outstanding. Have fun on your search, do your homework and you won't go wrong. Hopefully we'll see you posting that you just got your new bullet soon!

I had the same questions as you have about which cooker to buy. I went with the WSM and never looked back. One day, in the future I will get an Egg just for its steak cooking ability. 1000 degrees sears em quick. But not until beef prices come down.
DP

Mark, the great thing about the WSM vs. Egg is that when you need another smoker (which you will), you still have plenty of money left to buy 2 or 3 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back