What thermometer to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Wittman

The water boiling point in my area should be around 210. I tested 4 thermometers:
NuTemp: 231
RediChek: 253
Taylor with wire probe: 179
Taylor meat thermometer: 209

Any ideas on what to do or suggestions on a very good thermometer? This is messing me up everytime I cook.

If you have a Maverick (Redi-Chek) that registers 253*, I'd send it back. They're pretty good about customer service.

Of course, this is only if you haven't had it for 3 years and/or had the probe wire under water. That'll cause some grief also.

Keith,
For internal cooker temps www.tel-tru.com makes a great BBQ thermometer, if you are willing to drill a hole in the bullet. Another option if you have to have digital precision, is to get a used Fluke digital thermometer on ebay. You can usually find a Fluke model 51 or 52 for around $30-50. Plus you can buy new replacement probes at grainger or other outlets.

Kieth,

Raise cain with Taylor! I've had 2 Taylor probes for about 2 mos. Rechecked them both last night and they were 211.

Mike

I would use a quality dial therm for pit temps and the Thermapen for reading meat temps. Inexpensive digital therms are not accurite after a short time (at least that is how I find them).
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back