What the Firebricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrel Williams

TVWBB Super Fan
Please tell me about using bricks in a kettle.

I see firebricks listed on Amazon, but they seem to cost $40-$45 delivered for 6 bricks.

The local hardware store sells pavers for 39 cents. Can I use some of these instead? IS there a breakage issue? Is there a safety issue with the chemical content of bricks that aren't "firebricks"?

Because if I had to replace about 4 bricks every year that cost me under a buck each, I think that I would be okay with that annual purchase, rather than paying $45 for some top-o-the-line bricks.

hey Darrel, i use pavers.
i see no reason to spend a fortune on something sitting next to hot charcoal what 39 cents pavers can do.
i've been usin' the same two pavers for over 20 cooks. still look new dispite a little torchin' on the sides.

I went to the local brickyard.
95 cents each and you can buy individually.

From what I understand is some bricks can be bad health wise. I wouldn't risk using regular bricks unless you know a lot about bricks or someone else you know does. So basically I wouldn't trust anyone at Home Depot or Lowes to find a chemical free clay brick.
JMHO

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:
Darrel,
Most Ace Hardware stores have firebricks. 2 should only cost you a couple of dollars. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not true. Here in Houston I checked 4 Ace stores in my area and called two others and they had no clue. I finally had to go to a brick yard.

I use regular red bricks. They handle the heat fine... In fact, the reason I use them instead of fire bricks is for their heat retention. They get hot, and help to even out the temp inside the kettle. More mass also gives quicker recovery after lifting the lid. I don't know, maybe I am imagining it... but, I swear I am using less charcoal with more even temps than before the bricks.

Not sure about the poison... Hopefully mine are not poisonous. If they are, at least I have enjoyed being slowly poisoned.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeW:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:
Darrel,
Most Ace Hardware stores have firebricks. 2 should only cost you a couple of dollars. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not true. Here in Houston I checked 4 Ace stores in my area and called two others and they had no clue. I finally had to go to a brick yard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even if your local Ace doesnt carry them, they can order them. (Or you can too.) Not as cheap as I seen them but they are available.
Firebricks from Ace

Give these guys a call. I bought a couple from them individually for not much $$. Not sure how far Joliet is from you but it may be more convenient or cheaper than paying for shipping.

Gulf Eagle Supply

bd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernie D:
I use regular red bricks. They handle the heat fine... In fact, the reason I use them instead of fire bricks is for their heat retention. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regular duty firebricks are very dense and have excellent thermal mass. Insulating firebricks, on the other hand, weigh very little, and do not soak up and retain heat at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeW:
Darrel,

not true. Here in Houston I checked 4 Ace stores in my area and called two others and they had no clue. I finally had to go to a brick yard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even if your local Ace doesnt carry them, they can order them. (Or you can too.) Not as cheap as I seen them but they are available.
Firebricks from Ace </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did this as well. Went to several places first and nobody could even tell me where to get them. Finally said "screw it" and ordered from Ace.

Even though I definitely "over paid for firebricks" this was still one of the best investments I've made in using my kettle.

Here's a little info on Firebricks.
Take it or leave it.. In the long run it's your call.
icon_wink.gif

Tim

Great info, George. I thought all fire bricks were those light weight types that stay relatively cool. I want as much thermal mass in my kettle as possible.

I bought a box of 6 firebrick splits at the Menards for $10.

I'd stay away from regular bricks. Brick makers use all kinds of materials in making their bricks. The process of making the bricks requires firing them at super hot temperatures to bake them, and that process allows the brick makers to use lots of materials that you shouldn't be eating. Some of the largest brick making facilities are also USEPA licensed to be hazardous waste incinerators. I always thought making bricks from haz waste was a pretty good idea...until somebody mentioned using them in their bbq grill....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back