What Sugar to use?

Darin Hearn

TVWBB Fan
In my homemade rub I use brown sugar and I have been thinking about switching to turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw). Can anyone give me the pros and cons for switching to turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw), or staying with brown sugar?

Darin,
I always use light brown sugar for my rub and it works quite well. The raw sugar my not have enough of the "brown" component to give the flavor I am used to. But since your raise this issue, I may give it a try.

i pretty much use turbinado all the time. it has a higher burn temprature so its good for cooking at higher temps like ckicken and turkey.

I use both turbinado and brownulated. The brownulated is a Domino product that is brown sugar that has been dried.

Rich Decker

I just saw that granulated brown sugar for the first time the other day. I thought that maybe it had an additive, but when I looked, it was pure. They say you sub normal brown sugar 1 for 1 with the "brownulated" sugar. Easy.

I've been using raw (turbinado) for a while. I think it works well, but I like my rubs to have a fairly consistent size particles, which isn't the case with turbinado. I think this new granulated brown sugar is the perfect solution. The only downside is cost. What I saw was about 2x as much as normal brown sugar in a bag. That said, it still is pretty cheap. I'm going to try it once my turbinado sugar runs out.

Does this brownulated sugar offer the higher burn temp that turbinado does? Sorry to ask a question withing a question, but I am unfamiliar with it. With that being said, I have another; For those that use turbinado, does it seem to you that the sugar becomes disproportinate in the rub once you mix it? An easier way of saying this is that the times I have used it, it seemed like the turbinado settled on the sides and on the bottom. I tried running it through a grinder and it didn't help, maybe I need a new grinder. Anyone else experience this? Thanks.

I will second (third?) the use of brownulated sugar. I've been using it for the past few months, ever sisnce I first stumbled upon it at the local Shop-Rite. It definitely has more of the molasses flavor than turbinado, though not as much as dark brown sugar. Much easier to work with than brown sugar though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dean C.:
Does this brownulated sugar offer the higher burn temp that turbinado does? Sorry to ask a question withing a question, but I am unfamiliar with it. With that being said, I have another; For those that use turbinado, does it seem to you that the sugar becomes disproportinate in the rub once you mix it? An easier way of saying this is that the times I have used it, it seemed like the turbinado settled on the sides and on the bottom. I tried running it through a grinder and it didn't help, maybe I need a new grinder. Anyone else experience this? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My observation has been that the two brands of turbinado sugar I have used (Sugar In The Raw, and Maui Brand) have much much larger crystal sizes than any white or brown sugar I have ever used.

Back