What should I do with this red head?

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
This deep box red head was advertised for $20. I waited until free and picked it up. Pretty bad shape. Who ever at Weber thought wing bolts were a good idea for the manifold to firebox attachment should suffer for eternity. These are the issues. Basically all the bolts on the firebox are broken or will be after disassembly. Manifold, burner tubes, rail bolts are either broken off or will be. Wooden shelf disintegrated but Z brackets should be OK. Burners gone but flavorizers and grates may come out ok. Has anyone ever spot welded those enameled C type grates that come loose? The firebox has a bulge in the front which I find weird and never seen before. See pics. The bulge does not seem like it would be visible much from the outside and I don't think it would hamper use, as the grates fit fine and the bulge is down deeper. Wonder what could have caused that? All that being said. I don't like the concept of parts grills as I don't want a junk yard, however this one is really temping me to do that, as drilling out all them screws, and the warped box may make me do it. Also on the plus side it looks to have a good drip tray;-) but needs drip pan and holder. I am open to your thoughts.

261432889_6841185259257078_7393739111645177607_n.png20220130_175007.jpg20220202_140338.jpg20220202_140413.jpg20220202_140427.jpg

That bulge is interesting. I was reading about heating aluminum to shape it. Sounds like 700F to 900F is the range.

If only you had a burner that got that hot... Hmmmm

If you do part it out and are willing to ship, let me know what you would want for the drip tray. The one on my Platinum is still usable but one corner is messed up and it should eventually be replaced. Need a drip pan and holder too. I assume these parts are interchangeable with the Silver B and C, but tell me if I'm wrong.

No worries if you're not interested. Only if it works for you. I've no doubt I'll come across what I need without too much challenge.

The drip trays from a
If you do part it out and are willing to ship, let me know what you would want for the drip tray. The one on my Platinum is still usable but one corner is messed up and it should eventually be replaced. Need a drip pan and holder too. I assume these parts are interchangeable with the Silver B and C, but tell me if I'm wrong.

No worries if you're not interested. Only if it works for you. I've no doubt I'll come across what I need without too much challenge.
The drip trays from the Genesis series are not interchangeable with the the Platinum/ Silver series of grills. The good news is that you can still buy a new one for that grill as well as the grease catcher that hangs underneath. If you just go to one of the many websites that sell Weber replacement parts and enter your grill's model # you can easily source the replacement parts that are available.

To my eye(s) that firebox looks compromised. Don't think I would trust it YMMV. I had for awhile that same exact frame. When my brother in law got rid of their old grill he gave it to me. I scrapped it out for the lid (it was a red head) and mine was damaged due to a careless cleaning accident I had chipped the porcelain, his old firebox was compromised like that as well so I scrapped it, and I gave the old frame to either Jon or Bruce. I think I still have the old control panel though which IIRC is not faded.

Thank you for all your advice. This may be the first old Weber I don't restore and cannabalize to save the parts. I am sad. Any idea of the model so I can label the parts and what caused that firebox to warp in? I have cannabalized a 2 burner later model Spirit that the cart was too toasted to repair. I still have the 2 flip up stainless steel shelves from that one and the manifold. If that tray cleans up it is probably worth as much as 1/2 the grill restored;-).

Thank you for all your advice. This may be the first old Weber I don't restore and cannabalize to save the parts. I am sad. Any idea of the model so I can label the parts and what caused that firebox to warp in? I have cannabalized a 2 burner later model Spirit that the cart was too toasted to repair. I still have the 2 flip up stainless steel shelves from that one and the manifold. If that tray cleans up it is probably worth as much as 1/2 the grill restored;-).
The firebox was a victim to a uncontrolled grease fire. IIRC it was called a Genesis 900. Someone else may know better but I seem to recall that model from when my brother in law and late sister bought theirs new back in around 94 or so

Joe,
Looks like a late Genesis 1 where someone replaced a probably broken wood handle with a later plastic Silver one.

The parts that are more worth saving to me are the control panel and the wire racks (upper and lower). Also, maybe the upper right frame... Those are the most important parts to make a Genesis 1 vs. a more common Genesis 1000. If the tired old red hood cleans up, it is of course worth keeping. You will just have to see if it is faded besides being covered with dirt. The drip tray is valuable if not badly compromised.

I wouldn't flip that firebox, although it is certainly possible you might use it yourself without issue.

If you would, please PM me before trashing parts.

Joe,
Looks like a late Genesis 1 where someone replaced a probably broken wood handle with a later plastic Silver one.
I think Jon is right, looks like a Silver handle on an early lid. If you look at the endcaps, the early lids had a thru slot for the handle...the later (mid-'90s onward) ones did not, so if it's a Silver lid it will have the closed end on the endcap. The emblem looks like an early emblem with the TM instead of the ®.

Early Endcap.pngLater Endcap.png

Last edited:
I think Jon is right, looks like a Silver handle on an early lid. If you look at the endcaps, the early lids had a thru slot for the handle...the later (mid-'90s onward) ones did not, so if it's a Silver lid it will have the closed end on the endcap. The emblem looks like an early emblem with the TM instead of the ®.
Thanks - Good trivia. I will check it out. That handle was definitely replaced. Any ideas on that rack sitting on the side table? I am thinking it may be for a different grill?

Thanks - Good trivia. I will check it out. That handle was definitely replaced. Any ideas on that rack sitting on the side table? I am thinking it may be for a different grill?
Someday, all of us will have to pool our collective knowledge and put together some sort of spotter's guide that chronicles all the subtle changes that have taken place over the years. Remember the evolution of the VW beetle? At the end of its run, there were only a very few items that didn't change, yet it still looked substantially like it did in the beginning.

@Joe Anshien checkout this thread.

I think yours is newer, but it looks pretty close.

The reason I think yours is newer is because the control panel has a number in the lower right corner. Hard to read, but it looks like 8006

Two older units I have do not have this number on the front.

DanHoo is right. That little rack goes to the right of the control panel. That’s why I mentioned the upper right frame piece being important. I believe it has longer arms to accommodate the tray.

DanHoo is right. That little rack goes to the right of the control panel. That’s why I mentioned the upper right frame piece being important. I believe it has longer arms to accommodate the tray.
Would you happen to have a picture of a grill with that rack by any chance?

I like that side tray!

Why do I feel like Weber made the very best design first, then with subsequent model releases they just chipped away at the quality and features? It looks almost like the opposite of product development. Their earliest models had it all and over time they slowly took it all away.

Back